Chainsaw Restoration off topic request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potheen

Reaction score
Bit off topic but I have a a couple of chainsaws that came from my Fathers workshop that both did work and now do not that I would like to have serviced. I am a good with anything 4 stroke or electrical but 2 stroke just seem to give me the runaround. I have a Partner Dynamic P6 and a Pioneer 650 that I both like and for sentimental reasons would like to be able to use. I have done all obvious carb overhaul, new plugs etc but both will not start. they are both cared for and have run over last 20 years but apparently 2 Stroke and I do not mix... I can barely get my new expensive Stihl to start.

Can any forumites recommend a firm or technician that will tackle this older 2 stroke stuff, I am in south Lincs near Spalding. I have considered perhaps a Bike/scooter firm but fear that Muscle Chainsaws may be a bit challenging to them.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received

many thanks

I've had an old Sachs-Dolmar chain saw and an old Hsquvana strimmer die on me due to failed magnetos and for which spares could not be found. This was before all the stuff on the internet was available to one and all and probably with a bit of searching I might have been able to solve the problems.

It's worth checking you are getting a decent spark when trying to start the machines.

Misterfish

take the plug out of the barrel but stick it back in the suppressor cap and then make sure its touching the metal of the barrel (cooling fin or whatever or some other metal part). Go into a realtively dark space like a shed etc...pull the start lever and carefully observe the plug gap. Make sure any ignition switch is on of course. Is there a spark arcing across the electrode?

If yes....problem not in the electrical system, if no problem is....dis-assemble electrical system to fault find. Call the original manufacturer if they still exist and ses if they have the original shop manual (as it will have an exploded parts diagram)

Thanks, yes both have decent spark, decent fuel and fuel getting to plug. Did wonder about non leaded or similar freaking them a little. As I say I am reasonable with engines but do think time for an expert... My experience of local chainsaw technicians would suggest they will not be that sympathetic to this old gear and its over sentimental user, maybe I am wrong. And googling vintage chainsaw repair tends to throw up us based companies, interestingly the chainsaw collecting community in the US is really strong

hi potheen i,m not far from you have you tried carrs in boston they a tool and stuff shop, they repair they have always been fair when i have used them.
pip

No experience of chainsaws but I've had a lot of 2 stroke bikes in the past.

A common fault is the oil seals on the crankshaft. When they start to go, the engine will start when cold but not when warm. Then comes a time when it will not start at all as too much fuel/air goes through the seals instead of into the cylinder.

2 stroke engines are VERY sensitive to spark plug gap, I had a strimmer only last week that would not start, checked spark, fuel, carb, all no go. then narrowed the plug gap and hey presto up she went.

Back