Chain Leg Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanb

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my experience of fitting the Chain Leg Vise from Jim at Ancor Yacht Services in the US (http://ancorayachtservice.com/?page_id=196). I got the deluxe kit and all the parts are quite substantial and really good quality. The fitting instructions on his site are really good too, I just made the mistake of measuring and cutting the hole through the chop first and didn't take the size of the screw nut into consideration #-o As a result the hole through the leg had to be done at an angle. But this didn't seem to cause any issues and the clamping pressure is fantastic with thin (1mm+) and wide (140mm+) boards. I can even lift the whole bench (70KG+) by lifting the clamped piece of wood alone (I just had to try it :lol: )

One thing I particularly like is that the chop, leg, screw, etc do not have to be perfectly aligned, unlike the St Peter's cross and linear bearing pinless leg vise solutions. I have always wondered how these other solutions would fare between the summer and winter months considering the expansion and contraction of wood...

I've attached some images of the finished product.

IMAG1379.jpg

IMAG1377.jpg

IMAG1380.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1379.jpg
    IMAG1379.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG1377.jpg
    IMAG1377.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG1380.jpg
    IMAG1380.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 176
I've not seen that type before. Looks superb ! The bench looks like it's been built to last, nice job.
Coley

I've modified the post with a link, the price is quite reasonable when compared with the cross and linear bearing/shaft options.

Back