Quantcast

CBN Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

steadyeddie

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a 40mm wide CBN wheel to fit a Record 8" grinder ? I'm thinking of upgrading to CBN and I wondered if there were any pitfalls. I've read that the bushing set from Axminster isn't compatible with this type of grinder unless 'alterations ' are made. Thanks in advance, Dave

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been through this in the past few weeks.
Record were unhelpful.
The arbour isn't the diameter stated in the manual (mine was 16mm); and it's too short to take the Axminster bushings and a 40mm wheel; and the Axminster bushings don't fit the Arbour anyway.
I gave up and bought a different grinder.
Which now turns out to be out of stock.
It's not going well.
Sorry.

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. I got the wheel first (Axminster), then farted about for ages looking for a grinder to fit. The record 25+40mm one was the first I found after a lot of looking that seemed credible. There were some quality issues but the grinder and wheel are both OK and fit together using Axy evolution bushes. I believe these are still available in 5/8" versions (their code 104372, but NOT 16mm). It's a little annoying how difficult it is to get details like spindle dia and especially spindle length of a grinder to figure this out in advance. My tip is to buy all the bits online around the same time. Try them together and if things don't fit, send any or all of them back under distance selling right of return. It'll only cost you the postage.
I'm pretty sure that the newer model 8" grinder I bought had 5/8" bushes. I started a thread about balancing it titled something like "chasing down a problem..."
If I was buying again, I'd buy 32mm wheels or 40mm ones with a reduced width at the hub. There aren't many grinders out there with a long enough spindle to take the 40mm wheel I bought with full thickness hub and rather bulky bushes. Axminster didn't set out to sell a wheel no one could use, it sort of happened by accident, but they were unable to point me towards a single grinder that they knew would take the wheel. It would be much easier to buy their 8" trade grinder and 32mm wheels made to fit it. Slow speed (1400rpm) or standard doesn't matter.

bobajobob

Established Member
Reaction score
I fitted a 32mm axminster cbn to my record on the 25mm wheel side so retaining the 40mm alox wheel. Careful consideration needed for guard clearance. Had to make the bushes myself but works fine. Motor is under-powered but ok when up to speed. Made numerous other mods to get an effective system. My 30 year old 6" grinder with pink wheels stomps this.

Attachments

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
steadyeddie":2t6c88me said:
Has anyone bought a 40mm wide CBN wheel to fit a Record 8" grinder ? I'm thinking of upgrading to CBN and I wondered if there were any pitfalls. I've read that the bushing set from Axminster isn't compatible with this type of grinder unless 'alterations ' are made. Thanks in advance, Dave
Mike Waldt did a video on installing & using 40mm CBN wheels on a Record 8" grinder (starts at about 5 munutes).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWJl3DRxDw

steadyeddie

Established Member
Reaction score
gregmcateer":i1fb5eef said:
The Toolpost may be able to help - they seem to stock/ know what's what if you're in a jam
I spoke to Toolpost yesterday. Unfortunately,the wheel I require is out of stock and will be for a couple of months.

Latest posts