CBN wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short answer is Yes. They have two huge advantages over traditional grinding wheels. First they don't lose their shape and therefore never need to be dressed and second they positively eat through hard metals like HSS (ie the majority of modern turning tools that aren't TCT tips). This means you can grind at slower speeds which also helps to solve the over heating and thereby drawing the temper of the metal (blueing of skews etc)

Random Orbital Bob":1szbqqg2 said:
The short answer is Yes. They have two huge advantages over traditional grinding wheels. First they don't lose their shape and therefore never need to be dressed and second they positively eat through hard metals like HSS (ie the majority of modern turning tools that aren't TCT tips). This means you can grind at slower speeds which also helps to solve the over heating and thereby drawing the temper of the metal (blueing of skews etc)

As above. I've tried all sorts of grinders, 6", 8" with white, ruby, blue wheels over the years. All were ok but I've settled on a 6" crusen slow speed machine with a course white wheel for reshaping and a cbn for general sharpening and I'm a very happy bunny now and don't think I'll be changing any time soon.

Simon

Cool and smooth. Imagine a water-cooled Tormak or the like in time lapse photography and you have an idea of a cbn wheel. Without the wear of course.

Got 2 different grits from D Way tools.
Best thing I ever did.
Tormek got sold off, and that paid for the wheels. Now can get a sharp edge in a fraction of the time.
Way to go.
In "my opinion" the Tormek (although a great machine for straight blades) is a time consumer for turning tools .
Phil

I don't think you could call them a game changer but definitely a nice to have! Useful because they stay flat and cut cooler than the alternatives but not essential. I have one CBN wheel and one pink O'Donnell wheel, which is much cheaper than the CBN. Both are in my opinion superior to the standard white wheels. The pink wheel is coarser than the CBN so I generally use that for serious re-shaping but I think either would do it. For sharpening, I use both wheels equally.

buzzby":2kf602cj said:
Could anyone recommend a CBN wheel that would fit http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-at8srg2-slow-running-grinder-505195

I am just about to upgrade my knackered 6" and want to also get one CDN, only to realise the one Axminster sell is only a 6" CBN wheel.

I have the same grinder and it's fitted with a CBN wheel from the Toolpost. They have the correct bore to fit it without bushes.

They also sell the O'Donnell pink wheel to fit the same grinder. If you can stretch to another £40 or so, get one of those too, they are much better than the white wheels that come with the grinder.

Paul Hannaby":273vccu0 said:
buzzby":273vccu0 said:
Could anyone recommend a CBN wheel that would fit http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-at8srg2-slow-running-grinder-505195

I am just about to upgrade my knackered 6" and want to also get one CDN, only to realise the one Axminster sell is only a 6" CBN wheel.

I have the same grinder and it's fitted with a CBN wheel from the Toolpost. They have the correct bore to fit it without bushes.

They also sell the O'Donnell pink wheel to fit the same grinder. If you can stretch to another £40 or so, get one of those too, they are much better than the white wheels that come with the grinder.

Thanks Paul. Which CBN grit did you go for. Without much thought i would pick the standard grit.
Also is there much benefit to getting the face coat as well. Not sure where that would be used.

Like the tip about the Ruby wheel. may try and push to get one of those as well. Especially as one is designed for that grinder.

I bought the standard grit, it cuts plenty fast enough and leaves a good edge. Mine is face coated because they only did those when I bought it. I don't really use that face so if I bought one now, I probably wouldn't buy that one, I would go for the cheaper rim coated one instead. With the face coated wheels, it's the inside face that is coated so that makes it slightly less useful anyway.

By the way, the CBN wheels are 40mm wide and the Axminster grinder is designed for 32mm wheels so you will have to make a slight modification - file a slot in the outer wheel guard so it doesn't foul the edge of the wheel. As the wheels are not solid like a stone wheel, you only need a slot around 5mm or so where the edge of the wheel is. It doesn't take much to do.

The pink wheels are 32mm so they fit without modification.

Latest posts

Back