Cat spray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
My cat despite being spayed like to mark his terrority. He has decide my new TV cabinet falls into this category. My walnut top now bears his residue and i am unsure of how to get it off.
My finish was danish oil with wax on top. Any suggestions that don't involve hurting the cat would be greatfully received.
Owen

I've recently had this problem with my cat. I use an asda own brand antibacterial spray, it wipes away the cat pee and doesn't effect the surface - mine is in beech so I would do a little test on the walnust first just to make sure, but so far i've had no problems with it effecting the finish.

Problem is the stuff has left residue that is resisting conventional methods including said spray.
Owen

I see - You could use a citrus cleaner with a scotchbrite pad to remove the finish and thus the cats residue, and then re-apply the oil and wax.

somewhere in the back of my mind a bell has rung :idea: ..........well there isnt a bell smiley

cats can smell ammonia in cleaners and finishes

to a cat that indicates the presence of a rival in its terratory, hence marking it with his/her own

change the cleaner or finish and the cat wont bother

From the cats protection wed site
Spraying
This is the characteristic urine marking behaviour shown by cats. Most people choose to have their tomcat neutered because of concerns over spraying. However, neutered male cats and female cats also spray. This is a form of territory marking so can occur outdoors. If a cat starts to spray indoors it may be because of a perceived threat such as a new arrival in the home, redecoration or a change in the room layout.

Looks like your cat feels threatened by the furniture! :shock:

As for cleaning it up check out this [Page 8]

http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/610_spraying.pdf

Apparently its oil/fat based. The biological washing powder will stop the smell but the fatty deposits remain and the cat can smell them too and likes to mark in the same place next time. Removing the fat/oil with some kind of spirit will help. But probably not all that good for the finish!

Darren

a few words from the governor of california will wipe the snigger off that cats face

Back