Castor search

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone please help me, I am trying to source some brass, recessed castors which will not damage a stone floor. They are for a large conservatory bench made in Oak which could easily seat about 9 people across 3 sections each of which will have 2 castors on the rear legs.

I have been looking at the screwplate type ones with a rubber tyre sold by Martin but due to the design of the legs they're not ideal, if its possible I would like to find something more like the recessed type that can easily be found for industrial use on flight cases and the like. Does anyone make a small, decorative version of these?

Any help you can give will be gratefully received.

Cheers
Steve

How about a sprung loaded steel ball fitted into a hollow in the leg. Choose a spring such that the weight of the seat alone will keep the ball exposed but when anyone sits on it, the ball retracts and the leg takes the weight and will not mark the stone.
Retain the ball & spring with a brass disc with a central hole (large washer) recessed into the leg.

You can buy all sorts of springs with different rates (amount of compression per Kg) on line.

hth

Bob

Thank you for you help chaps.

The transfer ball idea ceratinly has me thinking for future designs but for this one the I think I will try to use one of the smaller Martin castors but swap the wheel for a nylon one from Priory. I'll let you know how I get on with the metalwork!

Cheers
Steve

Back