Cast iron or galvanised table saw top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgarn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a keen hobby woodworker. My latest "cheap" table saw has just packed up and I now need to buy a new one. Unfortunately the room inside my shed (workshop) is limited so I have built a saw cabinet for outside. It is under cover but does get damp and occasionally gets a few drips on it in extreme weather. I was looking at something like the Axminster TS-250. My concern is the cast iron top and my cabinet being outside. My other option would be to get something like the Scheppach HS120.

Could the Axminster be protected with wax and a Barbecue type cover? £500 is a lot to go rusty after a few months (sorry weeks/days). Or should I just stick with the site saw until I can get room inside the shed?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Belgarn, welcome. It all depends on how humid the area you live in is. Cast iron will rust overnight in some places. you could try the protective film that Boeing invented, but really if you can't really protect the cast iron then best to put up with the site saw for now. You could, if you mainly use the tablesaw for cutting sheet goods think about getting a plunge saw that comes with a rail to give very accurate straight cuts and has the ability to define accurate depth of cut.

IMO in that sort of environment the TS-250 will go rusty, protecting it with a water vapour permeable cover lifted above the table (not a barbecue cover) will help, but will not prevent the inevitable rusting, I keep mine in a water proof barn and still have to diligently apply protection wax when I leave it for some time, I still get rust spots here and there, easily removed with 000 grade wire wool, but something I would much rather not have to do.

Mike

Thanks guys for the response. Looks like the site saw it will be. Maybe use the money saved on a plunge saw as well :)

Steve

Back