Casket WIP pics...Secret Mitred d/t's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have got the comp casket under way and thought you may be interested to see progress 'cos once the joints are all together they're won't (hopefully) be a lot to see. There's no easy way to do these joints, they're just plain hard and difficult :x . Pic below shows the timber (teak) planed up true, the ends have been shot dead square and each pair is again exactly the same length, shoulder lines have been struck and mitres marked with the mitre set, all lines deeply knife cut:

54643.jpg

This pic shows the rebate taken out on the router table, the corner of the rebate needs to just kiss the 45deg mitre slope, some of them had to be taken down to the line with a shoulder plane:

3s3dr1g1erlrde.jpg

The joints are marked out, I use a black fine biro and the pins need to be cut first and then the tails marked out from them which is the opposite way round to normal thru' d/ts. Waste is chopped out with chisels except to saw in the mitres on the corners:

3sd33ertrrtrf.jpg

Once the pins and tails have been chopped out the mitres can be roughly cut, this pic shows an oak block planed to 45deg to cut in the mitres at the lid junction, top and bottom:

1s313dfglrbaw.jpg

The remaining part of the mitre can then be removed to within about 1mm of the corner...I'm using here a pair of scew chisels to cut across the grain (slicing cut):

mmjdjejeje.jpg

Once the mitres have been roughly cut the joints were tested to see if the whole thing would go together:

joqwjjjdjdjd.jpg

......and then it's time to do the really difficult bit, planing in the mitres. They have been cut accurately using a bigger oak block at the corners and lid, this pic shows the same block being used to steady the LN shoulder plane, and the large size as recommended by MrC gives excellent control.

22sd11ff.jpg

The last pic shows the two shorter sides with the mitres all done and the longer sides yet to be finished off......after some coffee :lol:

gweff.jpg

Will post more pics as the casket progresses - Rob

Wow! all that hard work and not a power tool in sight! :shock: No seriously Rob it is looking great! As has been mentioned it is a pity all that work will be hidden in the end. Worth the effort though. :D

I've been thinking about all the pictures I will need to take for my comp entry when I start making soon - don't plan to be starring in them myself :)

Some enviable skills on display in your pictures!

Thanks for all the positive comments....as His Lordship mentioned the easy way to do a joint like this is to cut the mitres and then biscuit the whole thing together, I 'spose the sectet mitre d/t is a bit redundant these days. It is tho' I think worth having a go at because everything has to absolutely spot on for all four joints to pull up so it really tests the accuracy of your hand skills. I think it would also be very difficult if not impossible to do this joint using a jig, it just needs to be cut very patiently by hand. Because everything is hidden, tails and pins can be quite chunky, in fact you need to have the pins larger than normal is so that it becomes a little easier to chop them out.
The teak is planed by hand, I daren't put it thu' the planer. When I was at Shoreditch in the 70's this was the only timber the timber shop wouldn't put thru' the P/T, so if you made anything from it (and a lot did in the 70's) then there was a bit of hand planing to do, all you picked up was a pile of rough sawn timber - Rob

Hi Rob,

A great series of pictures and very impressive joints. As others have said it's a shame all that will be hidden.

Cheers
David

Alf":1bufrwgf said:
Impressive. Insane, but impressive. :wink: :D

Cheers, Alf

...and it won't have escaped your eagle eye Al, that the sartorial apparel from last weekend has moderately improved as well....or maybe not? :lol: - Rob

Nice work there Rob :D
I don't know how you do it,i couldn't cut a dovetail by hand to save me life :roll:
I'm afraid my project is made using power tools :roll:
Paul.J.

Having planed in all the mitres I've tried in dry for the first time, most of the joints and corners pull up, all the top ones (which are the important ones) but a couple of joints at the bottom require a little further 'attention' :lol: - Rob

32z12fd0fff.jpg

Having got the joints together now, I've started to shape the moulding on the internal top surface of the casket. This has been done by firstly removing the bulk of the waste with various passes of the router, this has been done on the long side and the profile has then been worked (short side) with a scratch stock (blade ground from a piece of HSS hacksaw blade) such that the bottom of the curve is level with the top of the panel:

51df2f2.jpg

After all sides have been done, a small carving gouge can be used to approx carve in the corner to shape and then a profiled scraper will be used to finish together with grades of sandpaper to shape into a smooth profile:

lldkdok.jpg

The final shaping and sanding will have to be done when the whole thing has been glued and the panel in place, which will be a tad tricky I feel - Rob

Hi Rob,

That's looking good - it's an impressive use of hand tools. I'll be interested to see the final product. It's a shame that anyone who hasn't seen the progress shots will not be able to appreciate the joints on the mitres.

Cheers
David

Latest posts

Back