Carry on using Zinnser bin or change to use paintable edging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
So I do a lot or work using MR MDF (I really need to post more of the jobs in the projects section) and I seal the edges with Zinnser Bin (awesome product, if a little expensive). This is very time consuming.

I was thinking of ways to speed up this part of the production.

Would it be quicker for me to use a dedicated edgebander to apply the edging? I've seen the small hot air/melt machines on eBay and other dedicated tool sites for not a lot of money. I also have plenty of room in my workshop to set aside an area to do this adding my own extension beds for longer work.

Would like people thoughts on this as the Zinnser bin takes so long to apply and then remove excess that bleeds over the edges.

Cheers

Although the edge banding would speed up production on flat edges what happens when it comes to a routed edge? you are still going to need the Zinnser bin for those surely? There is a good MDF sealer from Morrells which is single pack and pretty much like sanding sealer it dries very quickly but of course still needs sanding after application.

Yes, a paint brush. I've used a roller but the coverage no where near as good.

Mailee, have you used the Morrells version? I used to use Zinnser Bin but now use an identical product by Johnstones Decorating Centre. A few quad cheaper which always helps

I use the Morrells sealer, its great, I would say that when using a decent MR MDF sanding the edge down pretty well then the 2K primer is just fine without the sealer, but when you get a fluffy bit that you can't seem to sand back properly it needs sealing, my issue is that but he time you've discovered that it needs sealing, you are already in the priming process and then its annoying to go back to seal something if you know what I mean, so I just use the morrells sealer on everything now, am tempted to try spraying it on as I've only ever brushed it.

Latest posts

Back