carroll tools drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are perhaps five years old, perhaps a bit more.

If I can source some suitable alloy bar I will try and copy mine and pass them on if they work.

Colin

Are they the Carroll ones sunnybob? They haven't been on sale for years to my knowledge.

Mine are more than one year old, but less than 4 years, purchased from axminster.

Setch... does yours still work properly?

Here's a proper Carroll one:

carroll 3.jpg

carroll 4.jpg

They are much better than Axminster's, but also more expensive. As you have found though, the Carroll works so it's worth having. I have an Axminster one but don't really use it, I bought it to make a scarfing sander for thin aircraft ply with (for 1.0 - 3.0 mm) because it is about 6" long, but am afraid it is not well balanced and vibrate/wobbles too much so I abandoned that idea.

I have jig somewhere that I use with the Carroll drum for making lengths of triangular aircraft trailing edge section from. The Carroll is very robust and smooth running.

So are you now saying yes to getting them back in production? They are one of those tools you don't regret buying.

I may take look at my Axminster one to see if the squashed tube it has could be improved upon but I think it would make the balance even worse.

regards

Colin

Attachments

• carroll 3.jpg
    carroll 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 125
  • carroll 4.jpg
    carroll 4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 125
A hello to everyone that replied thanks for taking the time I would like to think there is still interest for Carroll sounding drums..
It’s nice to know they’re still in use...to anyone that is interested I will put a couple on eBay As soon as I find out exactly what I have i will put a link in hear for then i do them...

thanks

simon carroll

Please have a look at some new locking keys for them on eBay you may have got a missed shaped one or something also if you cannot get the paper tight would recommend cutting it slightly smaller.. also knock up a little jig that will fold over the ends of the paper to the right length ..As a nice Smoove clean fold will help do not try and use your fingers...

hope it help

Simon

sunnybob":3krfa2ap said:
Somebody has to be negative, and this time its me.
i have two of these bought from axminster (75 mm and 20 mm) about 2 years ago, and although brilliant at first, I have given up trying to replace the sandpaper. If there is a knack as to how to get the paper tight I'm afraid the instruction sheet was not included with mine.

The "cam lock" just does not work for me, and I have truly tried many times because they would be very well used if I could get the thing to hold tight.

Yes from me.
I have a 3" and a 1" mini sander that I find absolutely fantastic on my pillar drill, i have never been able to find a comparable drum sander since your range went out of production. I have been looking for a 1 ½" dia. drum for sometime for sharpening my Veritas powered Tenon cutters and even tried making my own without success.
as Shed9 suggested above above - Lee Valley Tools might be a good tie in for worldwide marketing, particularly as they don't appear to offer a drum sander on their own website that could be used for sharpening the powered Tenon cutters.

I keep my eyes peeled for these 2nd hand on ebay and the don't come up too frequently now. After a couple for spindle and drill mounted ones. Good luck if you're restarting and please drop me a PM here when you have some stock available. A website shouldnt cost too much to set up for UK Europe sales.
Good luck

I bought a set of these for the pillar drill - they are absolutely excellent and as has been said nicely engineered. I think I bought a supply of abrasive strips at the same time and I am still working my way through these.

I bought my set at a show many years ago (maybe Axminster’s?) - I recall being very impressed with the demonstrator’s setup which involved the drum being held in a drill under the little work bench - I cannot now remember all the details, but somehow either the drill or the fence (above the work surface) involved a cam mechanism whereby you could really finely adjust the space between the drum and the fence, allowing very fine adjustment of thickness sanding.

I had to reinvent my own set up to do something similar when I was making some very thin parts for a small box - it produced some really glassy strips of wenge of 1 or 2mm - I don’t think I could have achieved this any other way.

So, best wishes for reintroducing these items - maybe I need some for the spindle moulder?

Cheers

Back