Carpenter, Joiner, Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to me:

A carpenter constructs a roof etc
A joiner does first and second fix site work, predominantly. Also doors and wndows.
woodworker is somebody who does something involving wood as a hobby. Also maybe covers all of the others as a whole.
cabinet maker is somebody making furniture.

other people interpret them differently, and there is a lot of overlap.

Lonsdale73":363m1i1i said:
What's the difference?

The classic definitions, back in the day were:

Carpenter: makes things that are an integral part of the house (e.g. studding, beams, roofs)
Joiner: makes things that are attached to the house: (e.g. doors, windows)
Cabinet Maker: makes things that go inside the house.

Woodworker is the ultimate generic; it would include all of the above, and chair bodger, ladder maker, hurdle maker, cooper, and so on.

He[The Carpenter] is distinguished from the joiner by his operations being directed to the mere carcass of a building, to things which have reference to structure only. Almost everything the carpenter does to a building is absolutely necessary to its stability and efficiency, whereas the joiner does not begin his operations until the carcass is complete, and every article of joiners' work might at any time be removed from a building without undermining it or affecting its most important qualities. Certainly in the practice of building a few things do occur regarding which it is difficult to determine to whose immediate province they belong, but the distinction is sufficiently broad for general purposes.

Of course, there's lots of overlap.

BugBear

Cabinet makers and woodworkers work to the nearest 10th of a mm
Joiners work to the nearest half of a mm.
Carpenters get it spot on. (or so they reckon)

Carpenters use nails.
Joiners use screws.
Cabinetmakers use glue.
Millwrights use bolts.
Timber framers use trenails.

As well as the good answers above, I suggest that you mentally delete any use of the term 'joinery' as a fancier way of saying 'joints'.

You're missing wood machinists! However that was virtually dead 10 years ago when I started my apprenticeship as a joiner.

Zeddedhed":f9yb6jyh said:

Before decimalisation it were;

Cabinetmaker works to nearest 1/64
Joiner to nearest 1/32
Carpenter to nearest 1/8
Boat-builder to the nearest boat!

And il ways thought it was done to the size of their hammers...

Carpenters have big ones
Joiners have small ones
Cabinet makers done have one
And Woodworkers borrow one.

Question: Who makes the stairs? Joiners would be my guess but it seems close to a carpentry job.

Germans have the job title genetically fingerprinted into the pistol grip of their (green coloured) tools. If a joiner picks up a chippy's tracksaw, he gets a lightning bolt up the tool pouch! :shock:

Biliphuster":3d2k9no7 said:
Question: Who makes the stairs? Joiners would be my guess but it seems close to a carpentry job.

Stairs are classed as joinery items, therefore made by joiners.

Although some of the staircases I've seen recently installed into new builds look like they were put together by retarded swamp donkeys.

Zeddedhed":1ysllxqy said:

And if all else fails, caulk it

Zeddedhed":2tpwo2x8 said:
Although some of the staircases I've seen recently installed into new builds look like they were put together by retarded swamp donkeys.

Ah yeah the latest woodworking trade, CNC operators.

Builders / handymen services that have 'Builders & Joiners' written on their van (hammer) ...when IMO it should be 'Builders & Carpenters' cause I doubt they have a Joinery shop -OR- make the Joinery components (as a Bench Joiner) they are fitting as a Carpenter.

Cabinet makers... (as a plumber once put it to me) ....makers of boxes wiv' hinges on :D

Cheers Jim

Back