car lock barrel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all needed a new fuel filler cap and lock for my feista. problem is the lock needs to be built to suite my key , does anyone know how to do this or a site that shows you. ford just said take it to a lock smith. has cost £35 just for lock and cap,so want to try save a little(tight welshman :D ) car is old so the less spent the better.

thanks for that but couldnt see anything for ford locks will keep looking :)

found something similar to what i want will put it together with big hammer and some tape :D

Did you buy the cap from a Ford dealer?
Someone in the parts dept could have quite easily done it for you.

Hi Lugo, If you look at he back of the lock it will nave a small plate peened over holding it all together bend this out and it will dismantle. I take it the new lock set is a bag full of wards a spring of some sort and a new plate? If this is the case you must fit each new ward into the barrel and then file it testing your key in it until it turns. Then on to the next one ETC. until all the wards are filed to fit your key. I have done these at work before as we repair/service many Fords. Hope this is of help to you. :wink:

yes got it from a ford dealer,they were'nt very helpfull. mailee, dont understand what you mean about the filing,have found a site that shows you how to assemble it in number order. each number corisponds to a depth of cut on the key. sounds easy but will let you know

I would try and assemble it first in the numbered order and see if it works. (the key turns in the barrel) If not then you will have to file the slots where the key sits until it does turn. Sorry if I am trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs but when the key is inserted into the lock it pushes and Pulls the wards into line so they will allow the barrel to spin. You must file the slots to allow this for your key. I hope this is a little more clear as it is difficult to say but quite easy to do. You may be lucky and it works as soon as you place the key into the barrel but I would doub't it from my experience of Fords. Here's hoping for you mate. :wink:

mailee you make it sound easy if you were closer i'd be knocking on your door for some help

lugo35":32or7ljh said:
hi all needed a new fuel filler cap and lock for my feista. problem is the lock needs to be built to suite my key , does anyone know how to do this or a site that shows you. ford just said take it to a lock smith. has cost £35 just for lock and cap,so want to try save a little(tight welshman :D ) car is old so the less spent the better.

On an older car, can't you just buy a cheapie from Halfords with a new completely new key? My petrol cap rusted on, and I had to break it off on my old Fiesta. I just got a new one from Halfords for a few quid, and have two keys on the key ring from then on?

Adam

Hi lugo35.

Your right, You do need to read the key.
Do you have a little metal "dog tag" on the keys? (or spares).
This should have the number of the key on it.
You need to build the lock backwards, with a spacer in between.
You read the key by the slope of cut, 0 to 4 (from what I can remember).

We used to make up new key numbers from spare broken locks to save buying the kits.

I have built lots of these. They are not easy to do and even harder to try and type how to do it.

Hope this helps.

adam not really looked in halfords. the one on car at mo is a universal screw in type which leaks!!!
may have a look and take the ones i have back if i can find something easier.
RPM thanks for trying to explain how to do it. the site i found is very good but i have a few bits not mentioned on there!! may have to get it done somewhere. will have to make time and have a look at it.

well after trying to assemble the lock turns out it does not fit the fuel cap :evil: :evil: the muppets at ford must have gave me the wrong one its seems to long. or is it me being the muppet?

Back