Car Boot Sales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who thinks it's a ******* cheek of the organiser to charge an entry fee to the punters? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

OK, we're only talking £1 or £2 in most cases but it's the principle! I wouldn't pay an entry fee to go into Tesco.

I agree, I don't go to a car-boot that charges buyers for entrance, fortunately the two big ones near me don't and both are open the year around. The nearest is on purpose built hand standing with street type lighting and open twice a week - Wednesdays and Sundays. the other just Sundays. I'm off to one shortly (get there about 7.00am - torch in hand). :)

I have never paid and would never pay to gain entry into a car boot sale, there is a sale every weekend morning at an old railway station, it free entry, although most of the sellers are professionals.

Baldhead

todays purchase

£2
i only wanted the 3\4 for bench holes..when i get a round to building it

Steve

Attachments

• photo (29).JPG
    photo (29).JPG
    137 KB · Views: 1,527
That's a nice haul for £2 :)

Unfortunately it appears all my local boot sales charge punter entry :( Clitheroe is a good sale but they charge £5 entry between 7am and 8am, £2.50 between 8am and 11am, then £1.50 after that.

2s up on don't go! and if the organisers can get away with it and sorry-sods are willing to pay then power to their elbows.

Over here they are called 'vide grenier' , empty attic, and are a fairly new thing. As an amature you ar only allowed to sell at them twice a year, any more and you are taxed on what you make. You have to register with the organisers and that's pased onto the authorities.

I haven't seen or heard of any that charge for the punters to go?

SteveF":2c6k9zst said:
todays purchase

£2
i only wanted the 3\4 for bench holes..when i get a round to building it

Steve

Is that a rare 3/16" I see in there? Auger bits under 1/4" are not common.

BugBear

MMUK":3fjcwu5l said:
That's a nice haul for £2 :)

Unfortunately it appears all my local boot sales charge punter entry :( Clitheroe is a good sale but they charge £5 entry between 7am and 8am, £2.50 between 8am and 11am, then £1.50 after that.

£5?!? Dick Turpin runs a carboot now I see.

are the saw setting tools worth picking up ?

i see loads of them but have no inclination

Steve

SteveF":15pyilqp said:
are the saw setting tools worth picking up ?

i see loads of them but have no inclination

Steve

Unless you want a collection (the designs have been fascinating) you only need a couple of Eclipse #77's to cover all the teeth sizes.

If you do want a collection, you'll find this interesting...

http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/

BugBear

pip1954":f92jyme5 said:
hi all
where would you draw line our ones charge 25 p and all goes to charity :shock:
pip
Thats different. If the sale is run for charity I would pay a REASONABLE amount.
To be honest, having got there I would probably pay a small admission fee anyway. But I wouldn't go again.

I'd happily pay a quid or two if it's really all going to a charity but not otherwise. I don't go to any events where the customers are expected to pay - and that includes woodworking shows/fairs etc.

tobytools":2jsrqd6a said:
SteveF":2jsrqd6a said:
todays haul

overspent tbh

£10

£10, you didn't over pay believe me ;)
All they have at the car boots I go to is pushy old men and boxes of dung
TT
not even sure what the prestons are for :oops:
but the 80 may come in handy

Steve

Back