Car Boot- Done it again...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benchwayze":15nvsslz said:
...but ain't yer got a vice? That's our third hand innit!
Scouse":15nvsslz said:
...so it's like second nature to me! I just use hold-downs, the vice, maybe an occasional clamp.
Yup, that's fine when working at the bench. But when I'm trying to drill a hole to screw something on the wall, it's one hand hold up the 'something', one on the drill and.... (hums: I'm Jake the Peg, doodle oodle oodle lum, with the extra... nah, that won't help :roll: )

Cheers, Vann.

Scouse":27698hd1 said:
My question now is age? I'm guessing not that old, but the typeface on the box label and the label on the drill looks a bit dated, maybe 60's or 70's? I assume it was made by J.A. Chapman, they made one with their own name on at some point, but when they began using the Stanley name, when they stopped using the Stanley name and when Stanley stopped making this style of drill, I've had no luck. I would have thought the box may be the best clue though.

I'd agree with 60s or 70s from the packaging. I would think that my dad would have bought his in '63 when we moved into a new house - not that I was taking much notice of tools at that time. The colour scheme on his was exactly the same. I don't expect designs had to change quite so often then and the basic design would have had a longer run.

Vann":20nq4lir said:
But when I'm trying to drill a hole to screw something on the wall, it's one hand hold up the 'something', one on the drill and.... (hums: I'm Jake the Peg, doodle oodle oodle lum, with the extra... nah, that won't help :roll: )

Put the drill in your mouth? :mrgreen:

AndyT":1c05wqcc said:
Scouse":1c05wqcc said:
My question now is age? I'm guessing not that old, but the typeface on the box label and the label on the drill looks a bit dated, maybe 60's or 70's? I assume it was made by J.A. Chapman, they made one with their own name on at some point, but when they began using the Stanley name, when they stopped using the Stanley name and when Stanley stopped making this style of drill, I've had no luck. I would have thought the box may be the best clue though.

I'd agree with 60s or 70s from the packaging. I would think that my dad would have bought his in '63 when we moved into a new house - not that I was taking much notice of tools at that time. The colour scheme on his was exactly the same. I don't expect designs had to change quite so often then and the basic design would have had a longer run.

Thanks Andy, I kinda thought about that age, frustrating that so little is documented about English tools though; Stanley in Sheffield, W.S./Woden pre-Record, the list goes on...

In all I have four 'whisk' drills, and only one of those was bought because it looked nice, with it's spoked wheel! Another is a 'cheepie' I had given me. Mostly I use the other two. I also have cordless drill/drivers.

Small drills that break easily are best used in a lightweight, effective 'whisk' drill. (I believe they used to make smaller sizes of these too, for very fine drill bits.) I keep a countersink permanently chucked in another hand whisk brace. That's all I use it for, because I feel I have more control over the countersinking than when using an electric drill.

I also have a full set of hand screwdrivers, but I am always grateful for the power when I need to drive screws, like those I would use if building a shed.

Maybe we should look more at the appropriate tool for the job, rather than which is the best.

The fastest, straightest holes are drilled using the sharpest bits, whatever they are chucked into!

Regards
John :)

Vann":18j5qz9b said:
benchwayze":18j5qz9b said:
...but ain't yer got a vice? That's our third hand innit!
Scouse":18j5qz9b said:
...so it's like second nature to me! I just use hold-downs, the vice, maybe an occasional clamp.
Yup, that's fine when working at the bench. But when I'm trying to drill a hole to screw something on the wall, it's one hand hold up the 'something', one on the drill and.... (hums: I'm Jake the Peg, doodle oodle oodle lum, with the extra... nah, that won't help :roll: )

Cheers, Vann.
Drill the batten first:
Double sided tape to hold the batten in place while you mark the wall.
Drill the wall, insert plug. Drive the screw.
Once you have one fixing in the right place you are flying..

John :wink:

Just found this in a 1958 copy of the 'Woodworker', at least it gives a ball park age.

1234.jpg

Benchwayze":26prag89 said:
I keep a countersink permanently chucked in another hand whisk brace. That's all I use it for, because I feel I have more control over the countersinking than when using an electric drill.

I have a countersink permanently chucked in a 2½" sweep brace for the same reason, I find it even better than an egg whisk :)

Scouse

Here's an ad for your drill in a February 1951 Woodworker.

IMG_4657.jpg

It's not in the 1935 Buck and Hickman catalogue - but it does have 12 different breast drills - including a choice of Chapman models 97, 98 and 99 which are similar and may have been rebadged as Stanley, as you said. (Catalogue available at Rose Antique Tools in case you don't have it already.)

Latest posts

Back