Captive panel construction questions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertMP

Established Member
Reaction score
I could have posed this in my WIP thread but as it is a general question too I thought I'd put it in a new thread...

My sideboard has a lot of 6mm veneered MDF panels held by rebates in the surrounding frames. Doors and back/sides are constructed this way.

Repeating one of the pictures...
sid030.jpg

Two questions....

Should I put any glue at all on the panel when I glue up the frame? Let a bit bleed onto the corners or take care to avoid it?

And finishing... I won't be able to sand the panel near the edge once assembled (or the inside edge of the frame should that matter) so should I sand lightly, apply cellulose sanding sealer, sand lightly again then assemble - or what?

I've already applied sanding sealer to the top and left it while I make more parts. Plan was to get smooth surfaces with sanding sealer then finish everything with satin polyurethane.

Suggestions and better ideas welcome :)

Plenty still to do so no rush!

If you have veneered panels going into a rebate as in your project then they will have to be glued in place. Careful application of the glue ie, a minimum amount spread evenly on both surfaces ought to ensure that there is very little 'squeeze out'. If the panel is lower than the surrounding frame then it will need to be polished before its fitted to the rebate. In addition the edge of the rebate will also need to be finished before the panel is glued in place. Hope of some help - Rob

woodbloke":ffd5a402 said:
If you have veneered panels going into a rebate as in your project then they will have to be glued in place.

Not quite true - they don't have to be but you can if you want to. I would also finish as much of the panel as you can before fitting in the frame.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks.

I know from my previous experience designing lighting equipment that a panel bonded to a frame is far more rigid than loose panel in a frame so I liked the idea of gluing it in. I think maybe I'll just put some glue near the mid point of each side instead of overdoing it like I usually do :)

I think this will give a good construction. Panels loose in groove can be secured with the merest dab of glue top and bottom but contribute little to strength whereas a panel bonded to a rebate will make a much stronger piece all round. The panels need to be fitted to the rebate with some accuracy as any gaps between the two will glare at you :x :D - Rob

Latest posts

Back