Cap iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Established Member
Reaction score
The cap iron on my Record 4 1/2 is about at the end of its life, that is to say I cannot get it to bed down properly. Thought I would, if the learned folk here think I should, purchase a new one, but they don't seem to be the same pattern, no curved bit at the front!
Advice please

John

Before you give up on the iron that you have, there are some simple things you could try.
It would help a lot if you can post some photos of what you have and what is wrong with it, but if it's a question of increasing the bend you could try just holding the end in a vice and levering the rest of the iron to bend it. You can use a big adjustable spanner tightened up close onto the rest of the iron, or two bits of wood and some g-cramps or a slot sawn in an offcut of 3x2.
You will then need to file the tip carefully so it will bed down snugly onto the blade.

Thanks Andy I will try that first. I must admit I thought of doing that but was not too sure that would be the way to go. Will just filing the front edge do or do I need to rub it on an oil stone?
John

Filing is all you need - the steel is not hard - but if a stone is easier for getting the tip flat and straight, use a stone. (Or other sharpening medium.)

I think you would see a worthwhile improvement if you fitted a new, thicker cap iron. The thicker cap iron is the main reason that Stay-sets are much nicer to use than standard Records (despite what Paul Sellers says :) )

Filing for gross work, but stone is infinitely preferable for control of final work.

A small clearance angle is desirable underneath. Possibly 1 degree.

This ensures no shavings trapped under to cause choking.

David Charlesworth

Agree with andy. Bend it a little and refile the edge. If it doesn't work out, you were going to get another one, anyway.

It's not a precision piece of equipment, but some of the new overseas makers of the old style manage to screw it up, anyway, and Stanley's new ones are rough to say in the least (you can still buy a cap iron of the old style from stanley tools).

You can either buy an older good-shape record cap, or buy a new one from stanley or a new style from one of the makers making the slab style that's become popular. All of them will work fine to mitigate tearout and eliminate chatter, so long as they're confirmed to work on record planes (meaning the hole for the depth adjuster is in the right place).

I recently bought a replacement 2 3/8" stanley cap iron and iron, marketed as a 'double'. In short, it doesn't fit the older planes. There's a thread on it here

I dont know what sharpening mediums you have ...
But if I was starting out tooling up, I would want a diamond stone for fettling the cap iron.
Especially if your shop is not organised yet, as an oilstone or whatever could get damaged
because your being so careful of the rest of your gear, which has taken prime "safe" allocations.
Those Ultex hones are half price at the moment and would serve you very well for the task.

Good luck
Tom

Thank you all for your helpful replies.
Andy. Have done as you suggested and then used 400 grit on flat(ish) marble slab to "hone" the front edge. Put it all back together and there is a definite improvement. I think what was happening was the top clamp (the one with the spring toggle, not too sure what it is called!!) was pressing the cap iron onto the iron because there was no gap between front and back to spring it into place. Hope you can understand this dribble!!
John

I would suggest that the cap iron is as important as the blade.

When finished it is as precious as the blade, a precision item, needing precise work underneath and a nicely polished top surface.

David Charlesworth

Latest posts

Back