Can't afford a Festool saw? (could be a jig)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice piece of work Tony. Have you managed to get the blade guide closing fully around the blade? I ask because I made a similar zero clearance fence for an old B&D circular saw last summer. Main difference being that the insert was much larger effectively covering the entire base plate and provided a new running surface for the saw. This provided solution to a small misalignment between the blade and the edge of base plate
Anyway point of this tale is that the design didn’t permit the guard to fully close around the blade. Nae probs. Considered myself always very careful when using the CS. Until one day working outside in the garden, and I managed to use the tip of left hand index finger to stop a slowing blade. After power off mind, but still cut a fair gash. Guess half a second earlier, there might have been enough torque to take off the whole finger tip. Didn’t stop me using the CS again, but boy was I glad when I eventually decided to buy a Festool instead of upgrading the TS.

stay safe

SC

Hi SC

I have no plans to modify it further. I considered the point you raise but to be honest, the guard nearly covers the blade and an awreness of it not fully enclosing the blade is actually helpfull to me as I am thus very careful with the saw after a cut :wink:

Hi Tony

A fine looking jig.
I have always thought that with a decent electric hand saw and a good blade and a zero clerance sole plate that a man could produce a good clean cut with a good stright edge. This is probably what was used before the latest and greatest came along. :D
I am just a weekender doing wood work and I SURE don't make a living doing this so my thoughts might be differant otherwise 8)
Again I like your design Tony

Travis

:oops: :oops:

Sorry TX, didn't pick on that whilst rushing.

To be honest, I post these things in an effort to help other people by suggesting ideas that they may not have treid or even thought of.

I guess I feel that some people see them as a sort of gloat, but this is not what I intended and certainly not the reason for posting [-X

Tony":fqozp6zc said:
:oops: :oops:

Sorry TX, didn't pick on that whilst rushing.

To be honest, I post these things in an effort to help other people by suggesting ideas that they may not have treid or even thought of.

I guess I feel that some people see them as a sort of gloat, but this is not what I intended and certainly not the reason for posting [-X

Tony.
Good job. Your "gloat"? is the eureka moment thing. Do you know the Archimedes story?

Tony":1zj0vupw said:

I hadn't thought of it, and it seems a really good idea to me.

I might try it on my big Makita, but if I get a small circular saw to replace the B&D I'll certainly give it a go...

Thanks Tony,

Pete

Latest posts

Back