Canada 50C/120F

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you ready for this?

Not the Mojave or Sahara, but Canada, and northern Siberia has the same temp at present.

Get ready for extensive fires.

No doubt global warming.

Even the much-despised experts who warned us cannot believe how high it went.

Caused by us.

What to do?

(yes I know it was a fraction below 50C, and above 120F, but rounded - absolutely smashed record)

This is clearly an unusual event, but the more data collected from more different locations, the more likely it is that new extremes will be identified.

100 years ago these would have been almost completely devoid of climate measuring equpiment. Few people about too. Only in the last 20-40 years has remote sensing and monitoring equipment been deployed to capture local data.

Here is what is happening:-
Heat Dome 2.jpg

Heat Dome.jpg

It's a known phenomena but its severity and frequency will increase with global warming, as with all other 'extreme' events.
Brian

Are you ready for this?

Not the Mojave or Sahara, but Canada, and northern Siberia has the same temp at present.

No doubt global warming.

Caused by us.

What to do?

(yes I know it was a fraction below 50C, and above 120F, but rounded - absolutely smashed record)

portland 115F one day, 85F the next. was the second day global cooling? i think both had more to do with prevailing winds.

I heard that it broke the Canadian record, but I was quite surprised to hear the previous Canadian record was in Yellow Grass Saskatchewan at 45C in 1937, which also gets down as low as -45C in the winter. I grew up close to there in Regina, which has a record high of 44C and a record low of -50C.

"Climate" is usually thought of as a 30 year period as a minimum. The weather in Canada is quite warm at the moment, but it's not the same thing as the climate.

Dry plains areas in south central canada or the northern areas of the US below it are not a place to go if you don't like:
* heat (sometimes extreme)
* cold (sometimes extreme)
* high winds (sometimes extreme)

A whole lot of intense sunlight there, often without much moisture in the air. In the winter, the latter allows the heat to escape at night and in the summer, to build in the day or over days.

Not that uncommon for it to be -30F in those places in winter and then a couple of days later, +20F or even close to freezing.

Minot north dakota has experienced well over 100F in 5 different months and -30s and -40s C in five different months.

This is clearly an unusual event, but the more data collected from more different locations, the more likely it is that new extremes will be identified.

100 years ago these would have been almost completely devoid of climate measuring equpiment. Few people about too. Only in the last 20-40 years has remote sensing and monitoring equipment been deployed to capture local data.
Yebbut people might have noticed if whole communities and small towns were being wiped out by fire. Sensitive equipment not needed on that front!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54180049https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/01/americas/canada-town-evacuation-extreme-heat/index.html

Last edited:
"Climate" is usually thought of as a 30 year period as a minimum. The weather in Canada is quite warm at the moment, but it's not the same thing as the climate.
We have 140 years of data and a very obvious steep rise in the last 40 years or so.
"According to NOAA's 2020 Annual Climate Report the combined land and ocean temperature has increased at an average rate of 0.13 degrees Fahrenheit ( 0.08 degrees Celsius) per decade since 1880; however, the average rate of increase since 1981 (0.18°C / 0.32°F) has been more than twice that rate."

It is interesting that after the 911 attacks in New York that there was an immediate suspension of air travel across the USA & this was said by scientists to account for a 2 degree jump in temperature in the following days. This has been put down to the contrails from jets at high altitude reflecting sunlight back into space.
Since the pandemic there has been a similar reduction in air travel but worldwide & for far longer.
Where we live in Essex Uk the sky used to be crisscrossed by contrails constantly & our local airport was very busy.
Not now, clear skies & when we see an aircraft it is unusual. I wonder what the effect on climate is?

It is interesting that after the 911 attacks in New York that there was an immediate suspension of air travel across the USA & this was said by scientists to account for a 2 degree jump in temperature in the following days. This has been put down to the contrails from jets at high altitude reflecting sunlight back into space.
Since the pandemic there has been a similar reduction in air travel but worldwide & for far longer.
Where we live in Essex Uk the sky used to be crisscrossed by contrails constantly & our local airport was very busy.
Not now, clear skies & when we see an aircraft it is unusual. I wonder what the effect on climate is?
Same here we are under the approach to Manchester and it used to be normal to see a lot of vapour trails all going that way.
I would have thought clearer skies means lower temps as heat radiates away without hitting the blanket of cloud and vapour trails. Maybe it balances out.
PS It says here contrails increase air temp and vice versa How Airplane Contrails Are Helping Make the Planet Warmer

Last edited:
Are you ready for this?

No doubt global warming.

Caused by us.

What to do?

I spent a few months in Toronto back in the 1990s, it was hot 90f daytime 75f at night.
Hot and sticky.

It's funny how right wing libertarians all follow the same path:

Pro brexit
Anti lockdown
Climate change sceptics.

I suppose it's not surprising, Brexit was driven by disaster capitalists and fossil fuel interests.

Long term trends, could definitely be climate change, I am not denying that is exists, it's always existed. Odd one off events, a lot more sceptical. I've seen snow in Devon in June, global warming? Climate change? or just freak event?

Long term trends, could definitely be climate change, I am not denying that is exists, it's always existed.
Not significantly for the last 11000 years: Holocene - Wikipedia
Odd one off events, a lot more sceptical. I've seen snow in Devon in June, global warming? Climate change? or just freak event?
Repeated freak events suggests a trend. It's simpler than you think.

11000 years is nothing in the life cycle of climate and the planet in general. We've got threads on Brexit that are older than that.

11000 years is nothing in the life cycle of climate and the planet in general.
Dead right. But highly significant in terms of human life on the planet.
It's even argued that human activity might even have brought about the holocene, and now be in the process of ending it with a new era The Age of Humans: Evolutionary Perspectives on the Anthropocene | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program
We've got threads on Brexit that are older than that.
Yep. But nothing lasts forever!

Back