Canada 50C/120F

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We shouldn't be worrying about our impact here.
This is what our government cannot see, we have an economy based on power consumption and as the pandemic has shown our leaders will sacrifice people until the last minute in order to protect it. If the planet was a ship then we are just patching a few small holes whilst many others are just cutting out gaping holes.
Best thing for the planet is if 90% of us disappeared.
Yes the only solution to global warming but this may be on the agenda if you look at scientific predictions for the fourth extinction event.
the Gulf Stream
If this goes very wrong there will be a real north south divide, up north could have canadian winter temperatures, no thanks.

You really have no idea do you?

This country depends on weather systems like the Gulf Stream, the North Atlantic Oscillation and all the rest, for the temperate weather that allows us, here on this fragile island stuck out in the Atlantic, to exist in reasonable comfort. Just a few degrees difference could very well entirely disrupt all that. But of course that's science and we all know about experts eh?

As you said in a subsequent post, most of us 'old farts' (thanks for that) will be gone before the worst of it hits, but I have three grandchildren and I'm fearful for the life awaiting them. Not least because of the existence of the many ignorant people like you with their heads in the sand.

If you want to go off touting the science of it, get us a prediction of the sea temperature in various places on earth, 10 years from now, with a 2 standard deviation confidence interval and we will check them later.

Your statement is full of ifs. If without likelihood is worthless.

Also, describe what happens in country if the temp shifts a few degrees. You lose food production in some volume, and the rest of the world does what....says "no way, we're not sharing with you. starve!!!"

I guarantee we have such a ridiculous food surplus here and more heat will do nothing but exacerbate it - you can have some and we'll stop burning so much for motor fuel.

Two points, what do you foresee happening to our little island that will be so catastrophic?
Most imminent threat is gulf stream change. Earth’s Gulf Stream System at its weakest in over a millennium and sea level rise, plus all the other factors to do with changing weather, farming, transport etc. First signs of things to come The Welsh village being abandoned to the sea because of climate change
Secondly, what do you think we can do about it, given that any changes need to be global and the most powerful countries in the world don't care,
Change is most likely to come from China. One of the otherwise dubious advantages of a totalitarian regime is that they can make it happen.
China is already leading in renewable energy production figures. It is currently the world’s largest producer of wind and solar energy,9 and the largest domestic and outbound investor in renewable energy. Four of the world’s five biggest renewable energy deals were made by Chinese companies in 2016. As of early 2017, China owns five of the world’s six largest solar-module manufacturing companies and the world’s largest wind turbine manufacturer.
The East Is Green: China’s Global Leadership in Renewable Energy.
as my previous post showed we account for less than 1% of CO2 emmissions so even if we all stopped producing any CO2 at all, we would have almost zero effect on climate change.
There is no alternative. If we don't all do it it will be forced upon us by circumstances - or by China?

Last edited:
We need to stop cremations as they must add to global warming or cremate in existing power plants so at least we go out producing a few watts.
Good idea. Cremations only at home in the woodburner!
Compost heap would be better. Or dropped into peat bogs like Pete Marsh Lindow Man - Wikipedia

I think that there is a problem with not only with climate change but air quality in general. I fail to understand that if governments are serious about making changes why the likes of Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos are allowed to develop space craft the only purpose of which is to propel wealthy thrill seekers to the edge of space. If we are going to change things we are all going to have to make massive changes to our life styles.
Absolutely. And it won't just be about driving around in posh new EVs!

Good idea. Cremations only at home in the woodburner!
Yes much better than having public ones in car parks like in India, think of all that wasted energy just going up in smoke. Has anyone any idea of the calorific value for a human, and if they are obese and lived on junk food so are full of faty deposits then there is even more energy, so rather than having all these scams to pre pay your funeral you could have something like a feedin tarrif for solar panels but instead you get paid for the amount of energy you generate during your cremation that pays towards the cost.

Yes much better than having public ones in car parks like in India, think of all that wasted energy just going up in smoke. Has anyone any idea of the calorific value for a human, and if they are obese and lived on junk food so are full of faty deposits then there is even more energy, so rather than having all these scams to pre pay your funeral you could have something like a feedin tarrif for solar panels but instead you get paid for the amount of energy you generate during your cremation that pays towards the cost.
For a woodburner you'd need to dry them out first - it's illegal to burn undried fuel.
Might be simpler to go organic and leave them out in a quiet place for the crows and other carrion eaters.

not a bad idea, but how will we stop people driving cars? also my local council in stockport are obsessed with cutting down trees, they aren't making any effort at all to protect ancient woodland or trees in town centres, quite the opposite in fact, anyone that complains about it gets ignored.
https://stockport.greenparty.org.uk/

Given the rubbish summer the UK is having, this global warming isn't coming up to scratch.
Thats why it's called climate "change". "Global warming" just confuses the trumptards and their ilk.
In fact if the gulf stream changes rubbish summers and hard winters will become normal - we are not far off the latitude of Greenland. It's the gulf stream which gives us a very moderate climate, compared even to Europe.

Last edited:
It's currently raining and I am wearing a hoodie. I was told I would get weather like the south of France but without the awful French. I'm gonna go burn some tyres and cut up some old fridges, see if that helps.

It's currently raining and I am wearing a hoodie. I was told I would get weather like the south of France but without the awful French. I'm gonna go burn some tyres and cut up some old fridges, see if that helps.
More likely Greenland than south of France. Maybe make a kayak out of skins, and a little harpoon? Look up recipes for seal fat and puffin soup.

Never knew that, is it a case of safety or pollution?
New regs about wood burning stoves - not sure if they are in yet but fuel will have to be dried to a specific level. It's about pollution and incomplete combustion etc.
Nor sure about drying cadavers - I know some dry old sticks though!

So this must mean a change to cremations, you cannot use even more energy to pre dry a body before burning even if you drain all the fluids first, so either use as fuel or freeze and shatter.

Thats why it's called climate "change". "Global warming" just confuses the trumptards and their ilk.
In fact if the gulf stream changes rubbish summers and hard winters will become normal - we are not far off the latitude of Greenland. It's the gulf stream which gives us a very moderate climate, compared even to Europe.

Brand it as widely as you can so that you can claim as much henny penny stuff as possible!

It appears the earth is warming. I guess any other change that you can lump in can be turned into a taxpayer funded grant. If you're trying to put current cool temperatures on the warming, you're loony, though.

There is this thing called the Fermi Paradox

The Fermi paradox, named after Italian-American physicist Enrico Fermi, is the apparent contradiction between the lack of evidence for extraterrestrial civilizations and various high estimates for their probability

There have been a lot of explainations put forward but the simplest one may be they all wiped themselves out. Perhaps because of over population, limited resources that cannot possibly support the number of people on the planet and the resultant fight for these resources. Sounds familiar ?

Prpbably very likely. It will not happen in my life time and perhaps not in my childrens but my grand children's ????

We need to reduce the popluation on earth by about 60% to have a chance of surviving - perhaps the next pandemic will sort it out. Something with the infection rate of Covis and the leathality of MERS or SARS ??

An interesting problem for the next couple of generations

We need to reduce the popluation on earth by about 60% to have a chance of surviving..

a strange comment. I don't think the population will have any trouble surviving at the level it's at now.
There is this thing called the Fermi Paradox

The Fermi paradox, named after Italian-American physicist Enrico Fermi, is the apparent contradiction between the lack of evidence for extraterrestrial civilizations and various high estimates for their probability

There have been a lot of explainations put forward but the simplest one may be they all wiped themselves out. Perhaps because of over population, limited resources that cannot possibly support the number of people on the planet and the resultant fight for these resources. Sounds familiar ?

Prpbably very likely. It will not happen in my life time and perhaps not in my childrens but my grand children's ????

We need to reduce the popluation on earth by about 60% to have a chance of surviving - perhaps the next pandemic will sort it out. Something with the infection rate of Covis and the leathality of MERS or SARS ??

An interesting problem for the next couple of generations

Seems more likely that nature will wipe us out at some point. As far as life elsewhere, we have no ability to observe it. Not sure how many stars there are, perhaps a septillion? It's not as if we can just drone the planets and take pictures.

Back