Can you name that plane ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
Its up north at the Mo and should make it down to London in a few weeks time.

Anyone able to give any info other than: its rusty and a smoother,........ well that's me all tapped out :D

Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• Front view.JPG
    Front view.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 953
  • side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 953
Wow answered in 11 minutes.......took me longer to write the email, thanks for the link Mr P:lol:
A Scottish maker, anyone got a catalogue for mathiasons handy?

I better get reading on restoring these, was very impressed by the ones ive seen done on her over the years.

Has anyone got away with zapping the rust off in a electrolysis bath, imagine the wood will swell/discolour/suffer.
Has anyone tried it, recommend/don't recommend ?

Regards,
Dave

Jimi gave me a tip that I was never brave enough to try

Just a little tip I found helped with CorroDip.

The downside is that the item has to be immersed and this is not desirable if you can't remove the infill.

If you temporarily smear Vaseline on the wood thickly and just a bit over the transition to the metal the wood will be perfectly protected from any liquid until the metal is restored at which point you can remove the Vaseline with a cloth.

three-rusty-infills-chariot-smoother-shoulder-wip-t79661.html

19th Century catalogues are out of my league but I do have a 1899 edited highlights Mathieson re-print that does have a page of infills but they are of the dovetailed metal variety, very much in the Spiers/Norris style, nothing like our Scottish castings. I think the majority were sold as raw castings to individuals on a budget maybe the odd small firm sold them as finished examples.

That's how Stewart Spiers started, bought a casting and worked his cabinet making magic and sold it for a nice profit
http://www.spiers.net/stewart.htm

Good Luck,
Carl

Latest posts

Back