'Can you make a curtain pole?' she said...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it turns out I can

4b311feee47e75406312819c79c1b49a.jpg

Any differences in diameter are down to the camera. Mostly.

Turned using a home-made steady and it is 1400 x 34 mm.

So its you who as cut down all the trees in Runcorn - went through yesterday and all I could see was stumps after the heavy pruning

Haha...they've chipped them all I think and I'm gutted 'cos not one has ended up in my workshop! Joking aside, the contractors for the new bridge have cut down loads of the wrong trees which seems sinful to me. I hope the Council kick up a fuss.

Nicely done. Last time I turned anything long was 25-30 years ago when I made a lot of 6ft tapered staffs for our Karate club. I cheated though and used the Holbrook :)

I made a curtain pole once, but used a router. The last long item I turned was a perch for a parrot. Ruddy hard work, so mega kudos to you for that

Thanks everyone, it was really enjoyable, but t didn't half tear-out when the vibration started. Still, big learning curve and nice to make use of the length of the lathe for once.

I can't help thinking that, although it is obviously possible to do this, it would be quicker, cheaper and far less hassle to just buy one.
Why not spend the time turning something more enjoyable? Unless you enjoy turning long, thin, featureless spindles.

I'm interested to see that you managed it without a steady. Did you need to cup your left hand round behind it to stop too much flexing in the middle?

duncanh":x3itqbnh said:
I can't help thinking that, although it is obviously possible to do this, it would be quicker, cheaper and far less hassle to just buy one.
Why not spend the time turning something more enjoyable? Unless you enjoy turning long, thin, featureless spindles.

:roll: You can't make comments like that on a woodworking forum and get away with it! :wink: :wink:

It would be cheaper to sell all of the workshop equipment and tools, burn the wood, buy a smaller house and buy everything we need but is that really what it's about? #-o :wink:

Jon

Andy, I did use a steady, but still needed to cup the pole with my hand at times to reduce the vibration.

Duncan, as Jon said, it's not about the cost, it's about learning a new skill, but thanks for the encouragement.

Noggsy":odwkyjyq said:
Andy, I did use a steady, but still needed to cup the pole with my hand at times to reduce the vibration.

I get it - "steady removed for photographic purposes"!! :wink:

MMUK":3jlfufyl said:
Now to turn the curtain rings........

Haved fun :wink:

For a proper challenge, how about turning the pole, a pair of finials, and captive rings all from one piece ? :D

Latest posts

Back