Can you Identify this Wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooty

Established Member
Reaction score
Had some old filthy pallet boards given to me, they are about 4.25" wide and 1.25" thick I ran them through the planer just to see what kind of grain it had The chippings from the wood was dark brownish red and the wood has a slight waxy feel to it.
Does anyone know what it is? Some pics below

Thanks Phil

imgp0090dv8.jpg

imgp0093cr8.jpg

imgp0091rf1.jpg

Hi scooty,
From what I can see it looks like iroko but if you can post a closer pic's that might change :wink:

Scooty..do you know where the pallet came from? We had some pallets all the way from India containing stone slabs. Wood looks similar ...I was wondering if it was palm?

Yup, I'm another one for iroko. I've found the grain of iroko is quite variable between pieces, ranging from reasonable to maddening! Turns a nice warm brown when wiped with a bit of Danish oil, though.

Regards.

Aye, looks like iroko right enough. Just been planing up a load of it this morning

Sooty - if the timber had a peppery smell/dust and irritated your nose when you ran it through the PT, then its probably iroko - that's what it looks like to me in the pics - Rob

Iroko never heard of it?
But I know I have a really tight chest after planing 5 boards yesterday
Here is a close up maybe this will help better.
Thanks again Phil

imgp0090cropkn2.jpg

Chris,

I have had some Iroko that was much yellower but other bits match these boards nicely, the right hand ones in particular.

I would say its iroko as well. While it does plane a yellowish colour it does darken a lot. Seen as how this wood came from pallets the dark colour seems compatable as it would be quite weathered.
Neil

Back