Can you identify my plane? (finished - now with shavings)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought this old smoother (that's smoother, not smoothie) fairly recently at a tool auction, was sold as un-named and there are no makers marks on it other than these lines at a couple of places.

The casting is a little rough in places but in general the plane is well made and the Marples blade fitted is a laminated piece of great quality. Any ideas on make appreciated as it's nice to tie in a bit of history to an old plane. Not taken any shavings with it yet as I'm giving it a bit of a resto which includes making new handles - the front knob has a split in it. Both seem to be beech.

Cheers

Damian

lespaul023.jpg

lespaul024.jpg

lespaul026.jpg

hi Damian

tis as Andy says the owner marks , from the little you've shown us my guess it's probably a Norris parallel side smoothie about nine " long .

Derek could be hammerite .hc

PS looking closer i don't think it paint or japanning at all it look like the remains of the wooden handle .

I'll get some more pics up, my thoughts are "Norris style" as it does look similar but there are no marks on the lever and the casting around the front handle is a little rough - the knob had to be angled at the base in order to fit in a straight line by the looks of it.

Someone at some point has painted or japanned, could be paint as the handles were covered in black paint, there were some modern screws in the handles and the blade was round at the edge. So it's getting some TLC, though that laminated blade is really hard going - literally!

Okay, couple of body pics, handles have been stripped but not sanded and finished - as they are getting replaced due to cracks and splits, this will be a working plane.

lespaul01.jpg

lespaul022.jpg

Sole looks to be in good shape, might need a bit of lapping though (and I have no lapping tools)

lespaul02.jpg

View from the back with the handle out

lespaul027.jpg

View into the casting at the front, looks quite rough and this is where the handle has to be angled to ensure a straight fit. This is what makes me think it's a copy, all be it an old copy

lespaul025.jpg

Thanks for your help

Damian

what are these lapping tools you speak of?

To lap, all you need is a flat surface (A piece of MDF would do if you don't have plate glass or a bit of granite), some sand paper and a liberal dose of elbow grease, or if you some at hand, grinding paste would probably work.

Nice plane btw, I have no idea what it is though!

hi

thats better much clearer pics still no idea what it is though my guess is it's a Norris , mind you that will clean up very nicely , bloody shame about the last owner marks . keep the pics coming as you clean it up right to the end .

Cheers BB, there's a glass place I've used before on the way to work who must have an offcut or two of float glass - if you can have an offcut of float glass :)

Got the nitromors out and removed the black paint from the casting, came off quite easily, this plane is nicely finished on the outer edges but they must have used a fairly rough sand cast as the inner is quite bumpy where it doesn't matter. Pics post clean up shown

iroko003.jpg

iroko006.jpg

Next job is to replace the knackered old handles and I have a piece of English walnut that should do the job, though I may come to regret not having a proper set of rasps. Just at the roughing out stage, lots of work to go yet

iroko007.jpg

iroko014.jpg

iroko015.jpg

Karl Holtey could tell you if it's a Norris. He's probanly had more of them apart than anyone. I doubt he reads this forum but he will be at West Dean and is very approachable.

Jim

Cheers Jim, I think we've had a handful of posts from Karl on here but not for a long time. Would be nice to get to West Dean but it's a long trip from Yorkshire

It certainly is, but well worth a visit if you ever get the chance, even if the tools event isn't on.

I have to email Karl about something else so I'll draw his attention to this thread.

Jim

Looking at the fuller pics it looks to be a homebrew copy of the Norris with the cast iron lever cap from the war production era...

Andy

The more I look into it the more I think it's what seems to be called a Craftsman Plane. Spending the day in the garage making the new handles, very absorbing. Just hope they turn out alright

There is IMO IB something uniquely satisfying about making something with the tools that you have yourself made that doesn't exist, for me, with tools that I have purchased.

Roy.

Roy you're right and I've had a great day in the garage in the freezing cold making a handle (with no rasps - but with some surforms and warding files...)

Took my roughed out handle blank and hand thickessed it and marked out the shape more closely, time to break out the surform

iroko001.jpg

Tempted as I was to leave the finger grip style post forstner-ing, I filed it smooth

iroko002.jpg

iroko00.jpg

Quite a lot of work between those pics with surform, warding file, big file and drum sander in the pillar drill. Time to add in the rounded profile for comfort

iroko005.jpg

Again lots of elbow grease there and lots of sanding through the grits to get it smooth and scratch free. Realised at this point that the bench was looking a bit of a mess

iroko004.jpg

Have applied the first coat of oil and it's looking good, can't wait to get it fitted and start on shaping the bun. Not only that but was listening to the footy on Five live and the Villa won. What a night :D

As I was pointed in this direction I will give my opinion :D

I think it is a user made plane which was probably influenced by the Norris No 51. Round about this time period a lot of people would make their own patterns and drop them into the foundry for casting.

A Norris would have been a much better casting. But with some fine tuning there is no reason why this plane couldn't give a good performance.

Good luck Damien.

Karl

P.S. Just to confirm that I will be at West Dean in June if anyone wants a chat.

Thanks Karl, confirms what I thought - it's going to be fun fitting the bun to the plane with the state of the casting at the front!

Sadly won't be at West Dean as I'd love the chance to see one of your planes in the metal. You're not tempted to come to Harrogate in November then...

Mikey - would be nice to fit a Norris adjuster but I imagine it's beyond my skills and patience to do so. Might be tempted to take the dremel to the rough bits of casting though

Back