Can you help me identify this lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you help me identify this lathe?

The castings are labelled "Coronet Sheffield England", but there isn't a model number.

As you can see, I need to organise some bed bars. Can anyone tell me what the diameter should be?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Attachments

• P4021457c.jpg
    P4021457c.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,037
I seem to remember reading that the coronet is the for runner of the Record Power CL series? If so, maybe you can get bed bars there.

Hi

Modern Record lathes, which developed from the Coronet are 1 1/2" bed bars, (38mm will be close enough if you have trouble getting imperial bar.

Regards Mick

The Turners on here are are possibly better at answering this one for you, Meanwhile--
The bed bars are as my green Record model, and the bed bars were solid at 1 1/2" (38mm) but i believe later versions had steel tubing. I guess solid would be better at "ironing"out any likely vibrations.
A very good starter model and mine does all I need, I bought mine about 16 years ago, has the cast iron "lid" on the drive belt access, about £200 then, from APT's Axminster original old shop.
Blue is the later colour, not sure when that came about, Record still has the cast iron quality "feel" about there stuff IMO.
Regards Rodders

What a brilliant forum! Thanks very much to everyone who has responded. The pictures that Dalboy pointed out are practically spot-on, so Coronet No 1 or No 2 it has to be.

I can't imagine that the diameter of the bed bars is absolutely critical, so I'll see what the local steel fabricator can provide at 1 1/2" or thereabouts. I'd like to try and set it up with a longer than normal distance between centres, so I'll try and obtain solid bars if possible. I believe that the heavier it is, the better.

Back