Can you beat this for quality?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought these in packs for years. A simple glue up brush from a well known company.
First one the bristles came out all over the edge I was gluing.
Second one the same.
Next one in the photo.
Will we ever be free of cheap imported goods that dont work properly.?
Whats the worst import youve ever purchased?
20210210_104733.jpg

Whats the worst import youve ever purchased?

Friend of mine bought a knock-off battery charger via Ali-Express.

Had a clippy insert thing to switch between euro and BS1363 plugs, which is fair enough...

But, where you'd normally have hidden contacts on the side that goes into the wall, and studs that slide into them on the cable side, on this it was reversed, so you could theoretically knock it and expose three energised metal studs!

He didn't bother plugging it in before cutting that off and fitting a proper plug, then (wisely) asked a mate of ours who has a Megger to insulation test it...

It not only failed the insulation test, but caught fire.

To be fair to Ali-Express, he reported it and asked for a refund, and they took all of that seller's electrical listings down within about 2 hours, and sent a full refund the same day.

I have been cagy about buying cheap electrical imports since then.

I can see why you would want cheap brushes for glue but a few workmen seem to go the opposite way and demand top quality for everything - we had a pair of generally very skilled builders doing a job that also involved a fibreglass roof - not easy to get the right setting times in cold weather - they demanded the best of all tools from their boss including brushes - I think at the end of the roofing there were about a dozen top quality UK-made Hamilton 4in paintbrushes set solid for ever in resin. It was a fixed price job and well done although I wish they'd learnt to 'glass in winter on a different job - but I reckon with all the thrown away top quality tools, fixings, materials etc they didn't make much profit, if any.

Got a wet stone sharpener from Record "Power", lasted all of 10 mins before the tie rods holding the plastic motor cover pulled out of their inserts...rubbish design, rubbish materials and no quality control...and I always liked Record stuff!...would have probably been acceptable if it had been about £50, but not at 3 time the price...expected a lot more...

I bought a paint roller set for a quid once from a cheap discount shop, the inside of the roller was made from cardboard so as soon as it got wet from the paint it literally fell apart.

Had a Rover once, imported it from a place called “the Midlands” atrocious quality

What a coincidence - my old Austin/Rover was imported from the same place - plenty of faults - then I had a couple of German cars - not without problems (and v expensive to fix) but better than the previous however despite all sorts of adjustments they were not comfortable, nor was driving position - despite its manky condition I wish I could have kept the old Austin Rover seat, steering wheel and pedals -- would have saved a lot of sore back and knees. Funny how a little thing .....

Had a Rover once, imported it from a place called “the Midlands” atrocious quality

Only beaten by French / Italian Cars like Renault Citroen fiat - absolute rubbish!!

Peugeot oddly in my personal experience haven't been too bad.

Cheers James

Good old FIAT......
Fixed It Again Today
Fix It Again Tomorrow......

Had nothing but pleasure free driving from my Fiat panda. Probably the best car I’ve ever owned! The worst was a Discovery !

Best car in the snow I have ever owned (and I've had a few over the last 42 years) was a Datsun (before they became Nissan) 100A. Skinny tyres FWD. It would go anywhere. A few years later I "moved up" to a BMW 3 series. 3 flakes of snow and it wouldn't move. Got a Ford Kuga AWD now which is good

I’ve got a 2003 Merc E 270 estate, one of the best cars I’ve ever had, but the best for traction, dry, wet or snow was an imported Subaru Legacy twin turbo estate 4WD automatic, comfortable, electric seats, roomy & went like the clappers, lovely car.

The silicone brushes sold by Rockler in the US are one of their better ideas. Even if left uncleaned the glue just wipes off. I have used them for veneering a few hundred times and they are still going strong.

Latest posts

Back