can i fit a drive center

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
ive been told that i dont have a morse taper drive center for my lathe, i thought it was complete.
anyhow, on looking it doesnt seem like the original center comes out, as you can see in the pictues.
one end is the point and the other end is where the top pulley goes.

any ideas.....

regards

chris m........

Attachments

• 2014-05-17 11.46.55 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 11.46.55 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 2014-05-17 11.47.07 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 11.47.07 (Small).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 2014-05-17 11.47.17 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 11.47.17 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,025
Hi

What make of lathe is that?

It looks like there may already be a tail centre fitted to the drive spindle - is the area just to the right of the spindle thread slightly tapered? If so get a set of self locking pliers onto the pointy bit at it's largest diameter, a spanner on the spindle flats and try to twist them in opposite directions, that should break the joint.

Regards Mick

hi mick
the name of the lathe is called: The Alpine Machine WL-4 made in taiwan, it has a manufacture date of 1980.
ill try what you suggest, but it looks like one complete bar all the way thru.

regards

chris......

Looks like photos 1 & 3 are the outer end of the headstock with the drive pulley removed.

Photo 2 looks to be the inboard side of the headstock with a centre mounted. If I am correct it should split between the end of the threads & the cone. (Edit: should come out of the hole at the end of the threads)

Classic case of the need of a thread protector - a threaded collar which ejects the drive centre without damaging it when unscrewed.

The pointy bit looks to me like it is a separate piece to the thread but how would you normally be expected to get it out ?

As Robbo said, it looks as though the threaded collar has not been fitted prior to the fitting of the drive center.

On my Record lathe, you would just undo the threaded collar and as it unscrewed, it would push the drive center off the morse taper and out.

If the cone is a solid piece of metal then gripping it should hopefully only burr the outer surface, however if it is a revolving centre gripping it does no good, as it will revolve.

Then you have to try a different strategy of wedging & gentle tapping. Even so the centre may come apart which will then possibly need a new ball race - but at least they are cheap enough.

Hi Chris

Give it a go - I'm pretty sure it's on a taper, any chance of a photo from the side and looking at the threaded portion?

For the record, a centre ejector would have done no good in this case, it's not a drive centre that has been installed it's a tail centre and has no shoulder for the ejector to react against. It's designed to be knocked out with a bar through a hollow tailstock quill.

Regards Mick

Does the hole in the centre of the pulley shaft go right through the spindle? if so a 6-7mm diameter rod could be used to shift the wedged centre.

Hi Chris

Not so sure now - I've just found this picture on the web which may suggest the point is part of the spindle, really need a better photo from you.

Rondy.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Rondy.png
    Rondy.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 942
hey fellas
thanks for the replies so far.
try as i might, i cannot seperate this headstock shaft, thats if it was meant to be seperated anyway.
i tried as mick suggested and grabbed the point with some mole grips, but nothing seems to budge.
do you think because this is such an old model that the shaft is just in one bar and was designed like that.
ive left trying to do it at the moment, i thought id better leave well enough alone, in case i damage something beyond repair.
the major trouble ive had with this machine is that i cant find any info what so ever about it on the net anywhere and a manual is no where to be found.

anyway, here are some more close up pictures of the headstock bar and also two prongs that screw into the face plate, i would have thought for work holding, but does anyone know how they are used.

thanks for all your help

regards

chris m......

Attachments

• 2014-05-17 16.29.12 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 16.29.12 (Small).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 938
  • 2014-05-17 16.29.45 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 16.29.45 (Small).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 938
  • 2014-05-17 16.39.29 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 16.39.29 (Small).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 938
  • 2014-05-17 16.39.46 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 16.39.46 (Small).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 938
  • 2014-05-17 16.40.11 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-17 16.40.11 (Small).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 938
Certainly looks as though the lathe was never intended to have a chuck fitted and that larger spindle turning and some sort of faceplate turning are the options catered for.
Although a fairly thick spacer plate is going to be needed for faceplate work with that fixed centre protruding.

Hi Chris

That looks like the centre point is all part of the headstock spindle, not a particularly good design. You seem to be cleaning it up well, perhaps continue to do so and try to move it on.

You could mount spindle work by drilling a suitably sized hole to locate on the central point and have the dogs drive either by contact with the sides or being driven into the end of the blank but to be honest the limitations of this lathe will just frustrate you - look out for something more suitable.

Regards Mick

Back