can anyone with a bandsaw help me out (near Cambridge?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammie*dodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a banksia nut that I need to section up into 8-10mm thick scales that will be used to make knife handles. Completely new material to me so is there anyone with a bandsaw that would be able to help? I'm based in Cambs just north of Cambridge but can travel. Thanks, Rob.

I could but the darn things cylindrical which makes clamping it hard. Its about 180mm long and 60mm diameter.
I'll manage but I thought I'd see if anyone could help first.

Cheers, Rob.

I've had a few offers form people (very generous of everyone ) but a chap who's done this before for knife scales has mentioned that cutting with machine tools tends to make the nut break apart. Looks like the suggestion to use hand tools was a good one ;)

Thanks for the offers everyone.

Regards, Rob.

i would also point out that cutting cylinders or rounded surfaces on a bandsaw is not advisable as the blade can "snatch" and turn the cylinder

Dodge is right, although a jig can help with stability problems. I haven't sawn banksia, but I have cut through plenty of reclaimed hardwood with mdf jigs, and have had some good results. One not so good, as I remember, but that was early days and hasn't happened since.
So I still think you'd be OK. A relatively fine tooth blade with little set would do the trick I think. Any thoughts on this?
I have got a very, VERY burred burr thingy that I managed to saw like this. I also managed to turn a bit for a handle to an old chisel, but wanted to try and make some fancy handles for a plane. I am aware of strength issues too, but the chisel handle seems ok at the moment. I won't be smashing it with a hammer mind.
Can someone let me know if I should go ahead, or sack it, whilst sort of 'on subject'? if this is OK?

Thanks, and offer still stands.

Neil

Back