Can anyone Identify this wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this wood.
This is a part of a larger log that I'm cutting up at the moment.
The bark is very rough and convoluted, the wood is quite dense, the heartwood highly figured.
The fist pic shows the bark, second shows the top where I've put sanding sealer to show up the figuring, the last shows the bottom as it is.

DSC_2109.jpg

DSC_2111.jpg

DSC_2113.jpg

John. B

Looks a lot like Yew, however the growth rings seem quite wide and I'm not sure that Yew has bark quite that thick and rough

Looks a lot like dog wood to me

you can tell by its Bark it is very Rough rough

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Opps :oops:

sorry :lol: I lost control for a bit :lol:

Certainly looks a lot like plum or damson to me. I've had a couple of each fall over in my garden over the past couple of years. Unfortunately the heart is often rotten.

Thanks guys, very droll Allen! :roll:
Yes, the heart seems to have a crack right through the middle. also the bark is quite loose.
Its convolutions makes it difficult to cut for anything large like bowls or vases, but I am getting some very nice figured pen blanks.
Another good reason to identify the wood. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

John. B

Looks quite like wild plum that grew like weeds in the hedge in our last house. There seem to be all sorts of hybrids among the Prunus species in the south east, so they are pretty variable from tree to tree.

You're right, I knew I recognised that bark from somewhere, it's exactly the same as the ancient plum in parents garden. Must remember to thieve it when the tree finally carks it - seeing as they chipped the old flowering cherry they had :x

Right Guys,
I'll turn a pen and see what figuring comes out of it :roll:
When i've cut it up a bit more we'll see if there is a piece big enough for something else.

(This log has been around the back of my drying shed for well over ten years)

John. B

Back