Can anyone age this saw for me please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHc1vtr+

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought a job lot of old saws for £5 in need of attention. 2 are spear and jackson but the 3rd is etched " Abraham ashton. Guaranteed superior" Have a feint verse including the word "beauty" and has a number 6 stamped near handle.

Is it worth trying to restore/worth anything? If not makes a nice ornament in shed.

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 965
  • $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 964
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 964
Abraham Ashton took over the Elizabeth Pacey & Co. firm some time between 1890 and 1893, when he is listed as a saw maker at 17 1/2 Meadow Street. He continued at the Burnt Tree Works, 17 Meadow Street until, at least, 1911. By 1919, the name of the firm had changed to Abraham Ashton & Son, Ltd., under which name the firm continued until, at least, 1925 (the latest directory information I have access to). So, if the mark is simply "Abraham Ashton, the likely dates of manufacture would be between 1893 and 1911 (possibly as late as 1918).

If the saw blade is unkinked and not too deeply pitted with rust, I'd be surprised if it wouldn't clean up to be a quite decent user. Though sharpening may take quite a bit of effort, as it appears some teeth may be broken off, and others fairly irregular.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, yes the teeth are very uneven and at least 3 are missing altogether.

I am currently de-rusting blade and will post more pic's when cleaned.

Just picking up on the question of the number 6 near the heel, this is the number of 'points per inch' as originally supplied.

According to Simon Barley's book, the practice of marking the point size originated with Disston in the 1870s and was soon copied by British makers on all but the cheapest lines of saws.

Back