Can anybody make an AV cabinet for me?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph001

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking for somebody to make me an AV cabinet to my plans. Material probably walnut veneer but if that works out too expensive then possibly a vinyl wrap or even just painted mdf.

Nothing too complex - 7 compartments total inc a bottom plinth. The back would be left open.

Bottom two compartments have to be able to hold 40Kg each and be ventilated on the bottom (so an optional fan can be fitted in the plinth void). Lockable IR friendly smoked glass doors over the bottom 4 compartments. Top three compartments open.

Approx outside dims:

L = 103cm
H = 80cm
D = 50cm

I have attached a child-like drawing!!!

Please can somebody recommend a compnay or individual that would be able to help?

Attachments

• AV1.jpg
    AV1.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 282
ph001":6taayzel said:
Hi there, I'm looking for somebody to make me an AV cabinet to my plans. Material probably walnut veneer but if that works out too expensive then possibly a vinyl wrap or even just painted mdf.

Nothing too complex - 7 compartments total inc a bottom plinth. The back would be left open.

Given the design and labour costs of a one off, you can certainly have your walnut veneer, since material
costs will be the least of your worries...

BugBear

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Geeeezz, I was expecting to pay a bit of a premium not remortgage the house!!! All those custom AV companies products are way out of my budget.

The big-av stuff is more reasonably priced but 99% of it is not deep enough to take my amp (50cm). There are loads of AV receivers out there that are 45cm ish depth so there must be a lot of people having this problem.

Could always have a go at making one myself I suppose (homer) (hammer)

ph001":33zk71v2 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Geeeezz, I was expecting to pay a bit of a premium not remortgage the house!!! All those custom AV companies products are way out of my budget.

Out of interest, what sort of money were you expecting to have to pay? Not pitching for a job, just curious/nosey ;)

Oh, and for the record, there's no such thing as 'just painted MDF' (hammer)

As bugbear says above, materials costs will be a pretty small part of a build like this.

Cheers, Pete

Hi there.

I made this AV unit from MRMDF recently. Charged £600.00 for labour and materials (this included painting it)
so I'd say your in the right area price wise. It's just finding the right guy to take it on.

This unit was quite tricky took me 2.5 days in total with 4 coats of paint. It has push to open mechanisms so no handles.

Anyway your a bit far for me as Im on the south coast but I'd say around £600-£700 for that unit would cover it.

All the best

T

Attachments

• IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 192
tezza111":1vrrvufl said:
Hi there.

I made this AV unit from MRMDF recently. Charged £600.00 for labour and materials (this included painting it)
so I'd say your in the right area price wise. It's just finding the right guy to take it on.

This unit was quite tricky took me 2.5 days in total with 4 coats of paint. It has push to open mechanisms so no handles.

Anyway your a bit far for me as Im on the south coast but I'd say around £600-£700 for that unit would cover it.

All the best

T

Where abouts are you and would you do trade work for me if anything came up?

Doctor Bob.....I'd be happy to. Im based in Sussex. Give me a shout if anything comes up.

Cheers

T

You could always make one for yourself, like this
TVCabinets.jpg

I used some oak-veneered plywood I found at a place where they sell 'seconds' at very reasonable prices. Legs and rails are solid, but also from the same place.

Back