Can a sliding UPVC patio door be converted to hinged?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byyt

Established Member
Reaction score
I acquired a pair of sliding upvc sliding patio doors on freecycle for my summerhouse project. The doors did not come with the runners and are essentially 2 large glass panels.

Has anyone any experience in taking a sliding upvc door, replacing the upvc with timber and then hanging it as a hinged door? I am conscious that the doors are very heavy, 70kg plus, I reckon. If to is possible, what kind of hinges can carry this weight and could a 10x10 post be ok to attach the door to?

It would depend on the profile of the stiles and the kind of hinges you get but it's not something I have ever seen done.

Probably unwise IMO as it's unlikely that the uprights will have internal box section aluminium or steel stiffners. If these aren't present any hinges will just pull out of the PVCu section. Hinged doors always have the sections re-inforced.

You can test by drilling the ends somewhere inconspicuous.

Bob

MickCheese":1thyn1wz said:
phil.p":1thyn1wz said:
Can you just remove the glass and re-use it in wooden doors? My last garage had six windows made from scrapped beer fridge doors.

I think that's what is being suggested. Mick
#-o Misread that totally :oops:

No reason whatsoever not to re-use glass in a timber door. The PVC glazing beads aren't difficult to remove with care. Would need to check that the new timber door has enough thickness to accommodate what will be at least 20mm unit thickness.

Thanks for all these points. My only reservation was that the guy I got them from originally had a whole conservatory and decided to scrap it and told me how difficult it was to take the individual panels apart. He ended up sledge hammering them. I guess the only way to find out is to try it.....

What Phil.p said.

It's easier to do than explain. D/G units are pretty tough (it will be toughened glassbtw), just make sure that nothing metal or poited hits the glass.

Bob

Latest posts

Back