Camvac or which other?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Thinking of getting the little Camvac 36 for my workshop to deal with the dust from sanding on the lathe, dust from my disc sander and maybe attach to the bandsaw if possible??. Chippings/shavings from turning not really a problem as I can just sweep em up but the dust is becoming a pain despite the paper masks I use. Walking round B&Q yesterday I noticed the Macallister range of vacs with a nice one for the princely sum of £79 for 1400w motor,32mm hose,auto start and other bits and bobs would this do the job instead of the Camvac (Rutlands -£189 plus wheels :? )? I have a Macallister router which has helped install three kitchens and other stuff no probs anyone any opinions on the Camvac/Macallisters or indeed others please?.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Does the small camvac come with its' triple bag filtration system? If so then go for that. You'll find that the internal filter in the B&Q jobbie will get blocked very quickly and you'll lose suck. That's why I went down the mini-cyclone route powered by a cheap Earler vacuum.

Roger

Interesting that Roger never thought about the cyclone route, I`d read about them before but wondered if they were too involved to make, maybe not? Could you point me to any info you might have on it please?
Thanks
Steve

I have just put in a CV286 twin camvac in on a 60mm duct system with a dust deputy cyclone. It works really well very impress with the Camvac and the cyclone.

Been looking at the available diy cyclones online and tempted to have a go.
Got my eye on a traffic cone down our road :lol:
so many things to do and so little time.............. :lol:
Regards
Steve

Hi again
just so I understand - a cyclone is simply a way of collecting dust before it gets to the vacuum cleaner thereby reducing the number of vac bags you fill or is it a more efficient method requiring lesser spec vacs for the suction or both :? :?
Cheers
Steve

Steve, the benefit of a cyclone IMO is that it stops the dust and chips getting to the vacuum which ends up clogging the filter and reducing the suck. You still collect all the dust and such - so you fill up bags or whatever just the same. Before I had the cyclone, I was forever cleaning the filter out as it got blocked up way too quickly.

Hi all
Very interested in making a cyclone but now wondering which is best (?) get a decent shop vac and design/make a cyclone to suit (seems straight forward enough) or still get the Camvac I was originally thinking of and make a bigger cyclone to suit that?. Must get stuff in context here as SWMBO is always telling me :?
Regards
Steve

Steve, I think you are maybe confusing the two?

If you go for a Camvac then (well at least the 386 does) it has three levels of filtration so the air it pumps out has been filtered of much of the dust and all the chippings are in the bin. So it basically does it all.

If you go the cyclone route then all you need is something to power it and a normal earlex or whatever wlll do this. Using a camvac to power a cyclone is a waste of money.

Hi Roger now I`m a bit more confused. Russell replied earlier that he had a Camvac plumbed into 60mm duct system via a deputy cyclone?. So would a `normal` shop vac and a cyclone be adequate for sanding on a lathe, disc sander and maybe bandsaw (only one at a time). My thinking about the Camvac was simply a lot more power and when used with a cyclone then less filter blockage, no loss of vacuum etc.
Steve

Hi Steve

Need to wait and see if Russell explains his reasoning. I think it will depend on his type of Camvac maybe? Perhaps his reasoning was to prevent the filters clogging up in the Camvac earlier than they would do - if he didn't use a cyclone. Did he have the Camvac and then discover that the filters gradually got clogged up so it lost suck? Then added in the cyclone as a way around that problem?

My take is this.

Any sort of dust/chip extraction/collection has to output its' air back into the room (or outside through a vent). The latter is not a good idea in winter as it will suck out all your warm air as well. So most people's equipment will have some sort of filtration. It can be as simple as the filter inside an Earlex type vacuum cleaner, a 0.5 micron drum filter as fitted to some extractors or the triple filtration system fitted to some Camvacs. The better the filtration (ie how fine is the dust that it filters out) the quicker it will eventually get clogged up and so your extraction suck will go down. That is why many extractors (I use the term in its' broadest sense) have multiple layers of filtering starting from a coarse filter and going down through ever decreasing fine filters.

One benefit of the cyclone in the path is that much of the dust and debris will drop out at that point and not end up going through the filtration system. So the filters will last longer before they need to be replaced or cleaned.

To get all this extraction to work, you need suck. Some woodworking machines need more suck volume rather than velocity. For example, a hand-held orbital sander chucks out a lot of fine dust. You need velocity.

A thicknesser will chuck out less dust but larger chippings/shavings (and lots of them) so you need suck volume to lift these chippings and suck them away. Which is why the output ports on thicknessers and similar machines are 4" diameter.

A spindle moulder will chuck out even more.

So what is my own experience?

I bought an Earlex vacuum cleaner - one of the wet'n'dry ones. Tools that I had at the time were a planer, a thicknesser, an orbital sander and a cheapie Ryobi router table. And a small Ryobi cheapie table saw. It coped fairly well but I was forever having to take the filter out and clean all the dust from it. And the capacity was a bit low and so I had to keep emptying it.

So I bought the mini-cyclone as previously mentioned. Built an air-tight box for it to sit on, mounted the box/cyclone unit onto a wheeled base and to power it I used an Earlex vacuum cleaner. The whole lot was remotely turned on/off. The difference was fantastic. The filter in the Earlex very rarely got blocked as most of the chips and dust ended up in the cyclone. Indeed, I used to find myself watching it all spiral down into the box.

That has worked well for me for several years. Then I upgraded the router table and fitted an Incra fence which has very good extraction built-in and also a larger table saw. The cyclone unit still coped well.

Then I bought a spindle moulder and also started doing a lot more 'production' work - running off architraves etc - and the cyclone unit struggled to keep sufficient air flow through the 4" pipe from the spindle moulder that it kept blocking up. Even when it did work, the cyclone collection box filled up way too quickly.

So I bought a twin engine Camvac 386 on ebay. I like the filtration feature but it's not wheeled which is a pain. But I was a bit disappointed with the air volume - it didn't seem any better than the vacuum cleaner. And you can't easily see when it's full. I did toy with the idea of fitting an intermediate chip collector box - sort of like a cyclone but without the spiral - but never took it much further because I could see my woodworking (hopefully) moving up a notch and so I decided to invest in a much larger 'normal' extraction unit from Axminster - this one.

It works well. I think that perhaps it's not quite as good as the cyclone/vacuum at extracting the router table and so I was thinking about hanging on to this unit. I'd already decided to sell the Camvac. But now I'm thinking that I may well sell my beloved cyclone unit as well.

The downside of the Axminster unit is that the standard bag doesn't filter out the very fine dust and so I will be fitting one of those (not from Axminster, I might add) 0.5 micron drum filters. And after a TUIT, one of the home-made dust filtering units a la DaveL.

So not sure if that helps or hinders?

Oh yes, lathes are notoriously difficult to extract. Most of us who use one have a full face guard.

Cheers Roger, this thread has cleared a few things up for me. I always wondered the real purpose of a cyclone. At the moment I have the RSDE2 and a 2HP Chip collector. This setup is fine for me and the filters on the RSDE2 don't clog that often. A quick hoover clears them. The only benefit of a cyclone, for me that I can think of, would be that I could build it on top of the brown wheelie bin to ease disposing of waste. Not high on my list.

Excellent reply Roger it all seems to make sense now :lol: . I guess I was after an all round setup which obviously doesn`t exist. Many thanks for taking the time to describe it all.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Roger,

I just read that you were thinking of upgrading to the Axi ADE2200. I have the Lyndhurst 3hp extractor which provides a lot more suck than the axi one and is also a good bit cheaper. I did a review of it in this forum so you can have a look if you fancy buying it!

regards

michael

I don't have much experience of fixed workshop dust extractors but if you are looking for a portable dust extractor then far and away the best on the market are the Festool ones.

My first ever dust extractor was a Numatic George-type. It was fine for woodworking but awful for sanding cellulose fillers- the bags were forever splitting, cause the filters to clog and generally making a mess.

I then moved on the Festool machines, at the time made by Wap. I now have a number of Festool CT22 dust extractors.

The build quality is superb. I often stand on mine (first remembering to put the brakes on!!!).

The two flat filters allow for a bigger bag capacity, in this case 22L. At the rear of the unit there is a rod you can pull out which "shakes" the filter to dislodge any dust.

I particularly like the antistatic hoses, wood chips no longer "stick" to the hoses. There is a selection of hose diameters to suit the job, small for sanding and wider for plainning. They also have hoses with the power flex running inside them to power the tool. These hoses tend to clog if hoovering large objects.

Audio levels are FAR lower than the Earlex/cheap machines.

The bags do lose some suction depending on the material being sucked- they claim to have addressed this with the new generation of bags that collapse when the vac is turned off- I haven't tried these yet but tend to believe their hype.

On particularly hot days I use a second hose which I plug into the outlet port- I then dangle the hose out of a window- thereby forcing the hot air out of the room.

The only downside is the cost of the units (£300+) and the cost of the bags- approx £5.

There are a multitude of attachments- for example a spark chamber which ensures that when grinding metal there are no hot sparks entering the drum- I have often wondered if this could be used to connect to floor sanders- thus reducing the risk of explosion. Incidentally they also make explosion proof dust extractors and asbestos rated machines.

I will probably upgrade to one of the new range in the next couple of months- I love the fact that they are constantly trying to improve their machines. They think of everything- even little things, such as, redesigning the wheels so that they are quieter when you push units.

Latest posts

Back