Calling Xcalibur Table Saw owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
Following last weeks surgery on my guide rails, I've been finally setting up the saw fence etc.
I'm rather dissapointed to note that the two sides of the fence are not parallel.
Along the length is fine (less than 0.1mm) but from top to bottom the width varies by 0.8mm over about 60mm which is 0.75 degree.
Of course it is possible to reset the adjustments when using the other side of the fence but it is a nuisance especially when making attachments that run on the guide fence.

To get the left hand face perpendicular to the table one adjustment screw top has to be flush with the steel angle and the other has to be backed off until the angle is only just clearing the measuring scale ie it has been welded on the skew.

Has anyone else noticed this or have I just got a rogue one?

TIA

Bob

9f
If I understand you correctly, you mean that the fence is OK for parallel to the blade but when you place a square on the CI table against the fence it does not contact the vertical side of the fence over its whole height?

I have noticed his too but it is a really small error, almost as if the vertical side of the fence has a VERY slight bow but not centred.

As 95% of my cuts are in the bottom 1" of the fence I have zeroed to that and all is fine.

I would check it again if I had to make full height cuts.

Hope this is what you mean. :? :eek:

Regards,
Martin

Bob I spent a little while re-reading your question and I think I get the thrust of your problem. My fence is fairly accurate it needs a little shimming under the ally side pieces to allow for a very minor dip (so minor I haven't got round tuit) a piece of lithplate should do it. My advice would be to set your adjustment screws to a happy medium between the two sides and then shim up the sides by whatever means neccessary. I can say my fence is very accurate compared to the poor excuse for one I had on the Sheppach. Some fettling is always to be required unless you have 2-3-4 thousand pounds to spare on "quality" machinery and even that will need setting up.

Cheers Alan

Martin & Alan,

Thanks for your replies and apologies if my description was not clear.

Yes I can adjust the fence to be parallel to the blade and when I transfer the fence to the other side of the blade it is still parallel without further adjustment. So the two faces of the fence are parallel to one another.

The aluminium extrusions are very very slightly bowed vertically giving the cross section of the fence assembly a slight barrel shape.

The problem is that when I set a square between table and left hand fence face, I can set the fence for virtually no daylight but swapping the square to the other side of the fence, it is 0.75 degrees out along it whole length.

My second point which may have caused the confusion is that to achieve anything like fence faces being perpendicular to the table, the adjustment screws have to be set with one at one extreme of its movement and the other at the other extreme.

This is the first time I've had a saw of this size/type (previous was as part of a KITY CK26) and had expected for Xcalibur money not to have to fiddle around with shimming.

It sounds like I am expecting too much and will have to get the shimstock out.

All part of my learning experience.

Bob

9fingers":3p84gzei said:
To get the left hand face perpendicular to the table one adjustment screw top has to be flush with the steel angle and the other has to be backed off until the angle is only just clearing the measuring scale ie it has been welded on the skew.

Just checked mine. Like yours the face of the fence is not parallel in the vertical plane. I have mine adjusted so that the left hand face is perpendicular to the table, but the right side isn't, with an error of about 1mm over the height. This could be corrected with shims between the steel of the fence and the aluminium faces.

WRT the adjustment screws, mine don't have to be adjusted to the same extremes as yours to get the left face perpendicular.

Thanks Paul,

At least it is some comfort that other saws have similar class of fence errors so I've not been singled out for a dodgy item.
The saw is my first new major woodworking tool so I've no experience of the degree of fettling to expect to have to do.
All in all the saw is a very capable beast and I'm pleased with it now that I have finally got round to making some sawdust.

1/2 day off worktoday so i'd better take advantage of it whilst the sun shines!

Bob

Latest posts

Back