Calling all mac users with Forefox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

if you get a chance can you please check out this page http://www.metro.co.uk/crossword and let me know if you have problems rendering it, repeated redisplays, partial displays, Firefox may even crash. Basically very very clunky.

If so I'd be interested to know what version of Firefox and Java you're using.

many thanks

Roger

Hi Roger,

I'll check that out and report back - just out of interest, any reason why you aren't using Safari?

Also, a better alternative to Firefox, is Camino - made by the same people, and using the same rendering engine is firefox, but it's optimised for the mac.

ByronBlack":1ho6ctcp said:
Hi Roger,

I'll check that out and report back - just out of interest, any reason why you aren't using Safari?

Also, a better alternative to Firefox, is Camino - made by the same people, and using the same rendering engine is firefox, but it's optimised for the mac.

Good point. Habit I guess. I'd always used FF on the PC in preference to Internet Explorer. Do you rate Safari?

Will look out for Camino.

Mr_Grimsdale":2hfreevc said:
Firefox doesn't work with eBay, and also seems to crash Safari somehow so I ditched it.
Apparently it's too strict with code and won't make allowances for eBay's bad code, and I guess the same with your crossword page.

cheers
Jacob
PS your page is rubbish with Safari on my mac - it's the page design at fault. Might work better with IE5 which is very error tolerant

Firefox works fine for me on eBay! Not tried Safari.

The metro page actually worked fine on Safari.

I do agree with you. I reckon that the web designers are so far up their posterior alleyway trying to be ever-so clever.....real pain though as I like to do the crossword over my morning coffee. :D

The crossword page worked fine on Safari for me too. Also never had a problem with ebay.

Andy

Mr_Grimsdale":fqtipuyr said:
dedee":fqtipuyr said:
The crossword page worked fine on Safari for me too. Also never had a problem with ebay.

Andy
Must be my machine then. It's oldish G4 with os 10.4.8. With Safari the crossword page wouldn't settle down - kept re-loading. With Firefox eBay doesn't show all the graphics.

cheers
Jacob

Don't think so Jacob unless you're really tight on memory but activity monitor will tell you if you are. I also have a G4 dual processor but I did treat it to 2Gb of memory. I have come across this link from Mozilla but not had time to investigate if their suggestions improve the Metro page. But they might also help you with eBay as I have no problems at all with FF 2.0.0.1

Firefox and Safari are the two best browsers available today in terms of security, rendering quality and support for standards coding.

Neither have issues with ebay, if you are having problems then its more likely an OS problem or corrupt file somewhere, the code used on ebay isn't standards based, but the two browsers do not choke on this, they do not have a setting that refused to run bad code.

They can render bad code as well as IE. Some problems with rendering can sometimes be introduced by the use of browser plugins - so remove them first to see if it cures the problem. If not then it's probably down to some dodgy javascript throwing the browsers off.

If you have a mac, then Safari is the best option. In my personal and professional view, it's currently the finest browser on any platform.

ByronBlack":31i04bvx said:
If you have a mac, then Safari is the best option. In my personal and professional view, it's currently the finest browser on any platform.

BB..been running Safari for a while and you're right...it's very good. It locks up on the Virgin One site consistently but I put it down to Virgin's website.

One quirk...I notice that when I create a post on this forum and insert anything such as a smilie or italics..that the cursor repositions itself to the left of the tag and not at the right hand side. Do you get the same?

Roger, I can't recall having that problem with smilies. I'm at work at the mo will check later this afternoon and let you know.

Andy

Not a Mac User or have access to one, could you folks indulge me and tell me if my web pages work, (www link below)

I have had one Firefox user report problems.

As far as I can tell it's down to javascript errors embedded in M$ frontpage code.

However when I run mozilla code checks they are so pedantic about code standards that I can't get my head around it.

Chas

Quick look with Safari gives a problem with the dropdowns....you get the hand and the dropdown menu but as you move the hand down to the menu, the menu disappears.

Gallery is fine...have you got enough bowls yet?

Will try Firefox when I get a moment

Roger,
You are right & I had never noticed. The cursor does end up infront of the code when inserting smilies and all the other tags for the inserts.

Chas,
I can also confirm that the drop downs under UKW Forum Support & UKW Forum Threads do not always appear - but sometimes they do!! I cannot work out why

BTW I'm using Safari 2.0.4

I wonder if the newer Intel Macs have the same problem - Alf?

Andy
[/url]

Someone call?

Using Version 2.0.4 (419.3) of Safari, I can confirm all the UKWS drop down menus drop down and let me click 'em - often to an irritating degree. Chas's don't work except once, just now, when I must have taken it by surprise. Also the cursor ends up in front of the code. What also annoys me is when you click on a smilie to insert it always goes to the very end of the text, regardless of where the cursor is. I started getting that when I switched to Firefox on the PC, but I seem to recall in the dim and distant past that IE didn't do that. Sorry, it's not really relevant, but I was just wondering if that was just me?

Cheers, Alf

Stranger and stranger, Iv'e just received this from someone else via e-mail.

Hi, no problem. I've checked with both IE and Firefox on two different machines and with the exception of the "woodsuppliers" link everything works fine.***

Now need to find out what the wood supplies link problem is.

Works fine on all windows machines I have access to. :wink:

Buy the way smiles can be entered any :lol: where using I.E.7

Back