Cadmium plating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shady":3nsbv8ky said:
why not clean one's planes if one wishes??
By all means clean them. Heck, you can paint 'em and plate 'em 'til their as abominable as Anne Robinson's face lift, just don't expect me to like it.

Apparently nothing less than a wooden plane followed by a Bailey followed bu a infill panel plane was good enough for Jim Kingshott, but I don't think that necessarily makes it the thing to do really, do you?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

So you don't want to see pics of my just refinished 46 with all new everything and full set of blades, awaiting its new greenheart and maple dt'd box with lurex lining by Versace? :p :p

Regards
Martin

mahking51":1rzzcjjs said:
So you don't want to see pics of my just refinished 46 with all new everything and full set of blades, awaiting its new greenheart and maple dt'd box with lurex lining by Versace? :p :p

Sounds quite stylish, even fetching, Martyn. 8) Let's see.....

Scrit

Scrit
You will struggle/will not find anyone to Cadmium plate your plane. It is now illegal to do so, unless you have a licence and then it is only given for aircraft parts. An awful lot of other plating processes will also disapear in the next few years as hexavalent chromium is outlawed. The main change will be to trivalent chomium, colours are not so pretty.

To blast the cadmium off you will create a lot of dust so wear a face mask, also you will need to clean out the blast cabinet as it will also be full of contaminated medium. It may be best to find someone who does this for a living, they will have the ability to handle these contaminents.

Oh and Velo's rock. First motorbike I rode was a velo venom clubman on the service road at Houghton airfield

Scrit,
Just a peek then, not quite finished yet; Alf, have bucket on standby!
46rest.jpg

Hope you like it.

Regards
martin

martin are you sure that versace are subtle enough for you??? :lol:

looks nice though,
better clean up my similar looking thing

paul :wink:

Paul,
I did have the option of a gold tint to the plating but thought that Alf might have had a stroke!

On a silghtly more serious note I don't see anything wrong with taking a tool back to where it was when new; I really look after my new tools to keep them that way so why not older ones?

Mind you, it'd be a funny old world if we all liked things the same way!

Regards
Martin
(just 'phoning for a quote to chrome a bucket....) :p

Hi Martin
How much did it cost you as I would like to get an idea as to how much my 44 might be :)

Hi all

Hope you don't mind me joining in.

This reminds me of a time almost forty years ago when a friend of mine, who was an apprentice at BEA (?) aircraft maintenance in South Wales, lifted the bonnet on his car to show me the newly chromed engine.

Cheers
Neil

Alf,
I have to say that if mine had been in that condition I would have thought twice about doing it up, very nice, full set of cutters?

martin

Colin C
Not quite sure as it was part of a much larger order; somewhere around £20 I think for all the bits, you do have to clean the threads afterwards as they can stick.
Martin

mahking51":28klgjhl said:
I have to say that if mine had been in that condition I would have thought twice about doing it up
It wasn't quite like that when I started... Missing one, maybe two cutters IIRC. Not surprising given the lousy design of cutter box.

46skew001main.jpg

At the risk of being branded a phillistine I quite like that Martin! 8)

I just wonder why nobody objects to planes like this, though:

a0_12_sb.JPG

which come from the factory all nicely plated

Right then that's me off Alf's Christmas card list......... If I was ever on it to start with. :lol:

Scrit

Scrit":p46obr2t said:
I just wonder why nobody objects to planes like this, though:
Who says they don't? I do! The poor thing should have been used. :roll: :lol:

Scrit":p46obr2t said:
Right then that's me off Alf's Christmas card list......... If I was ever on it to start with. :lol:
S'okay Scrit, everyone's off my Christmas card list - I don't have one. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back