Cabinet Maker / Bench Joiner or Wood Machinist Wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
As part of the continued growth of my business I am looking for someone experienced to joint the team making furniture and kitchens at our new larger premises in Kelso in the Scottish Borders.

I am looking for a Cabinetmaker or Bench Joiner with machining experience or possibly a Wood Machinist who is happy to muck in with the assembly.

I am prepared to give a bit of training for this job but I am not looking for an apprentice, we already have 2

If you are interested or know someone who might be give me a PM.

Tom

I have asked the permission to put this one here before any one starts talking about the rules.

I knew that putting this on here was a long shot.

But what has surprised me is the lack of skilled applicants from the other adverts I have placed.

I guess I will have to go down the semi skilled route and train someone to do set tasks.

Tom

Took me 5 month to find a skilled man. Best of luck.
Have you put it online and on the gov job site.

Yes on both, I have had a couple of bites off Indeed, but only time wasters off the Job Gov site.

Had more interest for semi skilled though, but still a bit thin on the ground.

Speaking to the CITB training officer when he came to see one of the apprentices last week, it seems to be a industry wide.

As there are loads of cheap machinery available in recent years, I'm afraid that many medium producers have closed so now it seems there are machine setters and machine minders working the moulding machines now.
We had a furniture factory here, in sunny Devon, ended up around 500 people making every kind of door variation you could think of.
Long story short,
The factory got sold for the quay side site for flats, supermarkets etc, this, apparently, is the way foreward.
So having one tradesman grinding and setting etc, and 3, or 4, semiskilled machine minders, probably supply you're builders merchants.
So I think really its up to the smaller 1, 2, or 3 man joinery type workshops to keep the knowledge flowing, as it were!
Regards Rodders

Just asked a couple of lads I know in Tranent, both joiners. They're not up for it but said they'll ask around.

I would have been interested in your offer and Bobs, but Im smack in the center of England, too far from either. :-(

Latest posts

Back