ca or epoxy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to fill some recesses with a contrasting fill- i have in mind brass filings, brass powder, or turquise powder.

The recess is veneer thickness- 0.6mm and a couple of square inches in cross section. Ideally I dont want to have to do too much sanding afterwards for fear of going through the veneer, but a dremel attachment might be pretty accurate on just the fill.

When complete, it will not be under any stress and cant actually physically fall out. It will also be laquered over the top.

having never done this before, will I get away with dripping thin CA on it or do I need to use epoxy? Can I get epoxy in small quantities, i only need to do about a dozen of these items.

CA is an anaerobic adhesive so I can't see how this will work in your application.
I guess you need a fairly limpid epoxy - all the small quantity types I've used like araldite are quite viscous when mixed.

Could you use some of the lacquer as you don't need the strength of an adhesive?

MM

I had forgotten that ca worked like that?

To use the laquer, would I mix it as a paste with the infill like with epoxy or drip it on top. Then just spray or brush a top coat over the whole workpiece?

Not sure - it was just an idea, thinking the lacquer would be limpid and easily mixed/spread/dripped as required in the same way CA would.

I'd suggest experimenting with some offcuts of the same material and see how you get on

MM

I regularly use Metal and Wood dust in turnings to fill small cavities using CA, may need to seal adjacent wood first to stop the CA from leaching and causing a stain.

For larger fills I use an epoxy filled mix.

Interesting Chas.
So does CA eventually dry in open air? I've never used the stuff for woodworking and thought that it only cured in the absence of air.
Apologies to Marcros if I misled with my earlier reply
MM

Yes, air has moisture which will activate it, if you leave the top off the bottle it will go off fairly quickly.

If filling deep cavities be careful if surroundings could be damaged by heat, not unusual to see filling 'smoking', hot enough to blister skin.

I use ca in my projects regularly it does dry in air but you must use it sparingly. Too thick and it takes a age to go off. Don't think about using activator as that can turn it white. And you will need to seal the surrounding area to stop discolouring. As was mentioned in an earlier post.

live life to the fullest. You only get one. at least in most cultures. :-S

I have benn looking at a few things- clear casting resin looks like a possible and it is cheap.

Not on the subject that I am looking at but this YouTube video is interesting http://youtu.be/FnJ6X8UK2so

What's a Call?

You need a fair bit of kit including that pressure vessel and when he got to the table saw section - it made me cringe - typical American unguarded, though I think I could see a push stick in the background?

Rod

Ye blimey just took a look. That guy is gonna lose either a finger or an entire arm!! The blade was at full rpms when he rested his arm on the bed... NUT CASE.

live life to the fullest. You only get one. at least in most cultures. :-S

Back