ca/blo finish for pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers greggy. I saw that a few weeks ago, eager to try it.

you are welcome guys, i was going to do one myself, but the trouble is i speak very broard yorkshire and thought no one would understand me. ask steve buk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greggy - I'm up in Northumberland, so we would have had fun :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I bought the BLO and had a go at this, but must have been doing something wrong, as I got no particular result to comment upon. Would really have liked it to work though. :oops:

LW

Interesting......I'd often wondered about the 'black art of CA finishes'....why does it have to be BLO ? why not any old oil - Tung, Olive etc....the reason I ask, is that I haven't any BLO !

Chris.

this could be completely wrong but i think it's blo because it acts as a mild accelerant for the ca and because it dries quite quickly....waiting to be corrected

chris, stewart is right. but you can use tung oil but only a drop.
lw, it will work but you have to give it patiance and practice. i finally got it after about six times. but now after i have popped the grain with blo first i just use ca then a quick sqirt of accelerant, repeated six to eight times then wet sand through the micromesh grits when all the coats of ca are on.

greggy":2pr0aa0i said:
chris, stewart is right. but you can use tung oil but only a drop.
lw, it will work but you have to give it patiance and practice. i finally got it after about six times. but now after i have popped the grain with blo first i just use ca then a quick sqirt of accelerant, repeated six to eight times then wet sand through the micromesh grits when all the coats of ca are on.

I'll have another go Greggy as I bought the BLO just for this purpose. I assume you spray the accelerant onto the workpiece, or do you follow the process and drop it on the cloth :oops: Sorry to be thick, but it seems like such a particular process.

lw, yes you are correct. you spray the accelerator onto the blank. you would be better of trying on a peice of scrap wood first. do about 10 coats then micromesh through the grades to 12,000 grit. have a look at the finished wood, and if you see any white lines on the blank you have not sanded enough. you may think that you will be taking too much off, but you are not. make sure you use medium ca. if you havnt got med ca you can use thin, but you need more coats.

Back