Byrons Official Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's looking fabulous Byron, you must be well pleased.

Dunno about a name, but you could put a sign above those doors which read "Carp-entry" :lol: Well if you do a Philly and host an open day (I expect an invite) I suppose "Carp-Entry for Old Gits" would be a proper job. :lol:

PS.... what about "SWMBO's Per Mission" :lol:

Sorry my only observation so far is negative Byron, but door security will need to be far higher than the hasp and padlock before you instal any equipment.
I'm afraid that can be removed in just a few seconds by the recycling section of the community.

Full marks for enthusiasm and tackling the learning slope, the next time round will be that much easier :lol:

Byron,

Full marks for persevernce. It's looking great.

Like Chas I would have some concerns on the secuirty front. What I did in my last workshop was to fit These into the bottom of the doors. Not by any means fort knox, but would require more noise with a crowbar to remove.

I don't want to be negative, as I am keenly aware of the effort you put in, I did it myself 18 months ago, then sold the house :cry: ! I'm only concerned that your precious tools will be safe

All the best
Les

Thanks for the suggestions on the names - i'll make a note, keep them coming!

The hasp is only temporary! I will be fitting two mortice locks and a dead-bolt, there will also be iron-bars behind the door glazing. I've not started the security stage yet, but it will be very comprehensive, the hasp is just so that I can atleast keep the doors closed at night.

Les, my worry with those bolts that you linked to would be that any serious burgler would probably have a couple of those hex-keys with him, espeically as you can just buy them of the shelf.

Andrew - an outfitting thread would be a good idea, but in all honesty that would take quite a few years as I have virtually no money for tools so it would be getting updated barely once every two months. I will however contine to update this thread with pictures of the interior as and when I can get to do anything.

ohhh yes, looking good mate
did you keep a tally of how much it all cost ???
this may be of use to other forum members {or a deterent} :D :D
what a learning curve youve been on , you deserve a pat on the back
hope youve got enough tools to start you off in the workshop , the machines can come later when you recognise what you really need
how about one of them combination machines ????
all youve got to do now is find enough time to "ENJOY"
good luck with the new workshop , and do enjoy it
regards
mel

suggestion for name
HOME FROM HOME

Looking good so far, what about calling it the "New Essex Workshop" :wink:

Jason

Congratulations Byron on all your hard work. Not perhaps a name for your workshop but maybe a motto:

'Prolonged endurance tames the bold.' - Lord Byron

Steve

Mel - As far as total cost, I havn't got an exact figure but it stands at over £2000 currently, but this includes a lot of the tool purchases I made during the build.

I would estimate it will cost atleast another £500-600 to complete the interior, windows and security. I have made some costly mistakes along the way and there are things I did that could have been done a lot cheaper. But aslong as it comes out to under £3k i'll be happy.

Jason: 'New Essex Workshop' have you not seen my avatar! :lol: :lol:

Steve - nice quote, i'll keep that in mind!

Day 22

Today most of my work was on the interior, I was hoping to get the second door and the last pieces of cladding painted today but it was far too cold and drizzly to get it sorted.

So, with that in mind, I wanted to get the door jamb completed, get the donated site-lights attached to the roof to give me good lighting until the electrics get done, and generally have a good clean/tidy.

So, on to the very first pics of the interior:

Going clock wise, this is starting from the front-left hand corner:
303782684_9fe630405e.jpg

Left wall and rear wall:
303782772_eb59291199.jpg

Rear wall and right wall:
303782835_76acd177b1.jpg

Front-right hand side:
303782914_23ed34071a.jpg

View from the back looking to the front doors:
303783033_42e3fb74a0.jpg

Summary

So, another couple of jobs done today, hanging the lights has made the workshop much more useful, and i'll be able to get out there more in the evening. I'll be moving my el-cheapo workbench in over the weekend along with some storage. I'll have to think up some projects to use up the very large amount of timber I have left over, including some nice planned 8x1

Mr Bingley - the reason there is no vapor barrier on the left hand side is because that wall went up with the cladding already on it due to no access on that side, and by then it was already up and then the vapor barrier was mentioned. So I bought it after that wall was complete, hence why it is on all the others.

I intend to fit vapor-barrier on the inside of that wall to protect the insulation when that goes in in the new year

A small update on the workshop.

All the wiring is complete. The lights are also fitted. A security light has been wired and installed above the doors.

Next weekend I intend to finish off all the small jobs to the external (such as: fill knot-holes, a bit more painting, fixing cladding with larger nails).

I'll also be ordering the insulation and 9mm ply for the internal cladding, still need to decide on what insulation i'm going to use, i'll probably just go for whatever is the cheapest, the celiling will be plasterboarded.

I've moved the workbench in, and have drawn up plans for the layout, this includes some preliminary designs for a wall-mounted panel saw using the festool saw and guide rail!

In the meantime, here's a pic of the workshop with our recent snow:
373309176_ef17f6d231_o.jpg

ByronBlack":25smhs0h said:
A small update on the workshop.

All the wiring is complete. The lights are also fitted. A security light has been wired and installed above the doors.

Next weekend I intend to finish off all the small jobs to the external (such as: fill knot-holes, a bit more painting, fixing cladding with larger nails).

I'll also be ordering the insulation and 9mm ply for the internal cladding, still need to decide on what insulation i'm going to use, i'll probably just go for whatever is the cheapest, the celiling will be plasterboarded.

I've moved the workbench in, and have drawn up plans for the layout, this includes some preliminary designs for a wall-mounted panel saw using the festool saw and guide rail!

In the meantime, here's a pic of the workshop with our recent snow:
373309176_ef17f6d231_o.jpg

Looking good! Plasterboard is certainyl cheaper - I used some on the walls of mine at the sort of height I won't be putting hooks and the like. 8'x4' 9mm ply £12 a sheet about a fiver for the same size of plasterboard. I'd also be tempted go with slightly thicker than 9mm if I was doing it again, just make sure it attaches to the frame on all 4 sides otherwise it can flex quite a lot still.

Cookie. I had a concrete base already laid in the garden but chose to lay a wooden floor because for me its much nicer to stand on, its better for your tools (if you drop them) and it's warmer. Also, the cost of a wooden floor can be cheaper than laying a new concrete base if you have a suitable area in which to construct it.

Back