Buying Tools in New York

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
Off to NY later this year for a few days and need to locate some tool shops so that I can plan the itinerary so as to "accidentally stumble across them"!! :wink:
It might work once but not too often?

I know about Garrett Wade and Tools for Woodworking (who sadly have moved from near where we are staying to Brooklyn) - does anybody know of any others?

I have emailed LN & LV for the names of any stockists and received a nil response! :cry:

Rod

Hi, I think you should rent a car an go to New Jersey (about 1 hour driving for a decent town ) and for sure you will have more options

Would have thought they had stockists in NY though

No idea how up to date this list is but...

Ace Hardware 16 N Main St, Ellenville, NY 12428 Tel: 845-657-7850
Garret Wade Co. Inc. 161 Ave Of The Americas, NY 10013 Tel: 212-807-1155
Rockler Woodworking 5085 Transit Rd, Williamsville, NY 14221 Tel: 716-631-8922
Tools for Woodworking 27 West 20th St, Suite 507, New York NY 10011 Tel: 212-604-9535
Veritas (U.S. Warehouse) 814 Proctor Avenue, Ogdensburg, NY 13669-2205 Tel: 800-871-8158
Woodcraft 1100 Jefferson Road, Rochester Tel: 585-292-9690
Woodcraft Columbia Plaza, 935 Loudon Rd, Latham, NY 12110 Tel: 518-783-3192

Garrat Wade and Tools for working wood both on there so ...

Cheers Mike

Woodcraft in Rochester NY.

Henrietta Plaza
1100 Jefferson Rd.
Rochester, NY 14623
Phone: (585) 292-9690
Fax: (585) 292-9864
http://www.woodcraft.com

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
5085 Transit Rd
Buffalo, NY 14221

AS Andy Corleone said above a car is pretty essential or you could hire a cab for the day.
I was there a few years ago for work and one day my self and 5 colleagues hired a minibus and driver for the day. He took us all over the city I cant remember what it cost, but it wasn't that much and so long ago now that the cost then would bear no relation on today.

You could also sign up on one of the US forums like Lumberjocks and ask there.

cheers Mike

Only thing is Mike that Rochester is about 5 1/2 hours from NY and Buffalo is about 6 1/2hours drive.

Not sure the tool price saving will be so good then :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Tim

tim":29cs8irh said:
Only thing is Mike that Rochester is about 5 1/2 hours from NY and Buffalo is about 6 1/2hours drive.

Not sure the tool price saving will be so good then :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Tim

Is it? Ah well, well I did say a car was a must :) Harbo didnt say where he was staying in NY he may not be staying in Manhattan. :)

Cheers Mike

Thanks for the replies - we are staying in Manhattan.

Do not think my better half will let me disappear on tool buying trips, much as I would love a tour round the LN site - hence the stumbling across bit! :?

Rod

Harbo":1o5u1qcn said:
much as I would love a tour round the LN site - hence the stumbling across bit! :?

Rod
Cant you suggest an overnight foray to Maine :)

Cheers Mike

My friend New York and New York City (Manhattan) are two diferent things . NYC is like central london very expensive and tourit island which i don't think you will find any decent woodshop you need to drive out of town to find wood tools shops I think about 1 hour or so

Harbo":g727izhy said:
Thanks for the replies - we are staying in Manhattan.

Do not think my better half will let me disappear on tool buying trips, much as I would love a tour round the LN site - hence the stumbling across bit! :?

Rod

Hi, I am new on here, but I used to live in NYC.

I would suggest you go to White Plains, which is just north of manhattan and visit Sears. You will be amazed at the range of tools they keep and the low prices. it also has the advantage that it is in a shopping mall so yr wife will be able to shop whilst you browse!! :lol:

Why don't you buy what you want online and have them deliver to your hotel, I did this and visited another store to pick up goods I ordered. This wasn't in NY though so can't help with locations. Online always seems to be cheaper and they will post all over US I can highly recommend

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=2896

Just don't mention on here how much money you saved or you'll get pelters! :evil:

Harbo, I think the last suggestion about having mail order tools delivered to your hotel would be your best avenue. That wouldn't apply to the few shops which are right in New York City, or others that are within taxicab range.

Tools for WoodWorking right in the city is - without doubt - a top tier enterprise.

On the web try Lee Valley and Woodcraft. Both sites end with a .com only, not a .co.uk as you have in England. You might get them on the phone and be able to talk them into foregoing the New York state sales tax, which is 8%. You are taking the stuff out of the country, after all.

(I live in California but just retired from the airlines and know the state of New York well)

Gary Curtis

Back