Buying advice - I clearly need help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Recently, i have splashed out on a Kapex KS60, a large axminster chipping extractor WITH the fine filter drum. The Axminster craft morticer and a festool tracksaw, with a couple of tracks.

So you would think thats enough to be getting on with, though that said something like a Fuji spray system would make a good edition.

But. Axminster is having another small sale(the barstards) and im really having problem controlling myself from buying a drum sander. Yes a bloody expensive drum sander. Just because its in the sale, Just because it's got a couple of hundred quid off.
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-ap406ds-drum-sander-230v-107636I really need to get a grip and stop buying kit.

Anyone else have this issue.

You need to ask yourself "What tool MUST I have to complete this task"
Not "What job can I find that justifies this tool's presence in my workshop"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: You're making a joke aren't you ?.

Thats nice Mike, bloody expensive though. Have to admit, these are handy bits of kit, especially sanding thin stock that a thicknesser would rip to bits.

In my last shop, we bought a larger drum sander(About the size of the 1632), but it had an issue, so the company sent out a replacement.
But they didnt pick up the other one, driver said that was a different van.
So the company(A big company, better remaining nameless given how this went) tried to arrange pick up of the broken one.
Then their van couldnt find the workshop, so that pick up got delayed, and delayed and eventually 3 years passed.
By this time we'd worked out what was wrong with the faulty one and fixed it.
That was 15 years ago and they've still got both. Very handy, two grits loading, rough and fine.

Last edited:
Nope as I still like blood flowing though my veins rather than out via a carving knife in the Mrs hands...!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thats nice Mike, bloody expensive though.

We don't have anything resembling an Axminster shop, and the Laguna is the only drum sander available by online purchase that doesn't come permanently attached to a large base.

At first, I was put off by one end being unsupported and thinking it might flex under load. However, after a demo of the larger SuperMax 1836 in the US last month, I realize my concerns were unfounded.

We don't have anything resembling an Axminster shop, and the Laguna is the only drum sander available by online purchase that doesn't come permanently attached to a large base.

At first, I was put off by one end being unsupported and thinking it might flex under load. However, after a demo of the larger SuperMax 1836 in the US last month, I realize my concerns were unfounded.
Can I ask you Mike. Are you actually putting through wide boards/components, as in turning them around ?, only Most i see them getting used for is smaller or narrower components. Cant really see a use for doing a board unless you're a big operation in which case you'd probably have a large double supported version, 600 or 800 wide.

Its just that this is probably the better deal if the majority of components are narrower than the 430mm
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-ap430ds-drum-sander-230v-107625
A bit outside my price or usage range, but might be a good time to make use of tis deal should anyone be in the market.

a large double supported version, 600 or 800 wide.

I do wonder why drum sanders are strangely narrow at the lower end. Surely it's only a matter of a slightly longer rollers and a slightly wider belt. Nothing has to be faster. 600mm seems like it'd be a better baseline (eg for bench/table/kitchen tops) but even looking at more expensive ones they're still not particularly wide.

Is 430mm a standard measurement for something?

Just look at an industrial wide belt sander. The power that is required is huge circa 15KW+ Sanding is very power hungry, and you can only take off a very small amount. The Axminister Senior sander is about as big as they can get and still run off single phase.

Can I ask you Mike. Are you actually putting through wide boards/components, as in turning them around ?, only Most i see them getting used for is smaller or narrower components. Cant really see a use for doing a board unless you're a big operation in which case you'd probably have a large double supported version, 600 or 800 wide.

Its just that this is probably the better deal if the majority of components are narrower than the 430mm
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-ap430ds-drum-sander-230v-107625
A bit outside my price or usage range, but might be a good time to make use of tis deal should anyone be in the market.

Most of the items I would put through a 16-inch wide drum sander would be small enough for one pass. Concerning the Axminster model, they will not ship to Germany, as is the case for all of their shop machines.

Axminster-1.png

I received an email today from SauterShop, the German Laguna distributor, advertising free shipping on all purchases over €100. I'm waiting for a reply to see if this includes the SuperMax 1632.

I'm waiting for a reply to see if this includes the SuperMax 1632.
I've had my eye on one of these for some time but as has been said:
"What job can I find that justifies this tool's presence in my workshop"
Its not happening @ £1800.00 for the "package" here, (be interesting to see what the deal is in Europe) I do have a project I would like to complete that I can't do without one...(but the FA isn't giving in)

Interesting to see the numbers quoted on the Axi options as being a maximum/minimum!! thickness of 3mm and the Laguna @ 0.8mm.

Hope that comes through ok.
No such luck. The free shipping applies only to items that can be mailed.

I think I will order it from IGM Tools & Machinery in the Czech Republic. IGM is the main European distributor for Laguna and they do have free shipping to Germany for all orders over €1,000.

The SuperMax 1632 from IGM is a little less than the price from SauterShop after the 19-percent VAT is added, but the free shipping saves a lot. IGM also has the SuperMax 1938 (SauterShop does not offer this model), but I'll have to consider if the extra three inches of roller width for single passes is worth the additional €500.

I suppose that level its double pass aspects are primary for consideration and you're looking at dining table top kind of capable width, but then how often do you do those and is it worth the 1/3 extra it costs. Thats how they price these things. Always a little bit more and a little bit more, and before you know it you're considering machinery at twice your initial budget.

Recently, i have splashed out on a Kapex KS60, a large axminster chipping extractor WITH the fine filter drum. The Axminster craft morticer and a festool tracksaw, with a couple of tracks.

So you would think thats enough to be getting on with, though that said something like a Fuji spray system would make a good edition.

But. Axminster is having another small sale(the barstards) and im really having problem controlling myself from buying a drum sander. Yes a bloody expensive drum sander. Just because its in the sale, Just because it's got a couple of hundred quid off.
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-ap406ds-drum-sander-230v-107636I really need to get a grip and stop buying kit.

Have you seen this? For Sale - Axminster Drum Sander

Last edited:

Yes my friend it very catching to have and use good kit 👍😊

Need a smaller workshop then another big tool won't fit! DAMHIK!

Back