BUYING A LATHE HELP !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNK_WALES

Established Member
Reaction score
HI I AM JUST ABOUT TO BUY MY FIRST LATHE I HAVE A BUDGET OF AROUND £300.00 FOR THE LATHE AND £100 FOR CHUCK. I WOULD LIKE TO EVENTUALY BE ABLE TO TURN LARGE BOWLS. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE DML SERIES RECORDS AND ALSO THAT FOX 1HP MODEL LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A GOOD SPEC. BUT I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL OF ANY SUGESTIONS ON WHAT TO BUY, ANY MAKE OR MODEL WITHIN BUDGET
THANKS

Avoid Nutool...lathes I have one and will have to upgrade
sooner or later.
I know jenx uses the fox
Was looking at this one on ebay

I now know a good base is also essential..:lol:
alex

HI I HAVE LOOKED AT THIS AXMINSTER PACKAGE DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ITS ANY GOOD?

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE FOX F 46-719 IS ANY GOOD EITHER?

Hog,

My other half took pity on me an helped me buy the AWVSL1000 package I linked to above. Unfortunately it is out of stock until mid-december. Annoyingly the finishes, chisels and abrasives I ordered at the same time arrived next day... :cry:

Dunk,

The 719 is very well thought of by those who own them.

Green":209bmz1z said:
Hog,

My other half took pity on me an helped me buy the AWVSL1000 package I linked to above. Unfortunately it is out of stock until mid-december. Annoyingly the finishes, chisels and abrasives I ordered at the same time arrived next day... :cry:

Sounds like your chomping at the bit to get at a lathe...lol
Looks like a good solid lathe..nice flat bed and strong base..
rotating headstock..keep us updated on your progress will ya.
Just practicing beading...driving me mad trying to get all the beds
even..:lol:
Good luck

IS THE AXMINSTER THE BETTER CHOICE IN YOUR OPINIONS THAN OTHER LATHES ON THE MRKET OF THE SAME SORT OF PRICE

cambournepete":c2fyivxx said:
Hi Dunk,

Please stop typing in capitals - it' considered to be SHOUTING! :)

Welcome to the forum :)

I think the caps lock must be stuck :lol: His name is in Caps as well

Pete

I bought the Axminster lathe and chuck you mention about a month ago, but I'm too much of a noob to give a review relative to anything else :)

As far as I'm concerned its perfectly adequate for everything someone as new as me would use it for. So far I've turned spindles, bowls, drawer pulls and marking knives, and I'm happy with how the lathe performs. It is a bit noisy due to the variable speed mechanism, but coming from the flat side it's still the quietest machine I own, so I'm not complaining!

The stand is rubbish though. Its pretty flimsy and the "tool tray" is more of a shavings scoop. Don't be temped to put any tools in it or you'l never see them again, just like my MIA chuck spanner...

One other complaint is that the tool rest is fairly rough, which does make it difficult to make nice smooth cuts, but overall I'm pretty happy. It has a large diameter over the bed, its variable speed, you can swing the headstock and it's plenty powerful, so I can see it lasting me for quite a while yet.

Cheers
-Tom

HI DUNK :lol:

my advice would be to buy the kit eddie is selling for £400 on the thread below this one.

If you dont because you want new the axminster is a good choice - i had an M900 for 8 years (before upgrading) and it was very good

the stands are a bit rubbish but you can either just mount it on a bench or reinforce the stand by boxing it round with mdf and putting a shelf on the cross pieces - then filling it with blocks of concrete or bags of sand.

i don't particually want the axminster i have seen the fox 46-719 and think it looks good for the money or a record lathe i am totaly open to sugestions

Latest posts

Back