Butt hinges on kitchen cabinet doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the butt hinges on a fairly high end (expensive)kitchen we’re only chopped into doors and not the frames. It was a door in frame kitchen.
Is this normal? Have I been wasting my time all these years or is it just a commercial / fitting decision?
Thanks

There is a thread about it here -https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106875&start=0&&view=print

petertheeater":81t3qy0u said:
I noticed the butt hinges on a fairly high end (expensive)kitchen we’re only chopped into doors and not the frames. It was a door in frame kitchen.
Is this normal? Have I been wasting my time all these years or is it just a commercial / fitting decision?
Thanks

I would say that it may be slightly quicker to only chop hinges into the door and not the frame but if you want a top quality job chop in to both. I've been in the trade for over 40 years and a lot has changed in that time and a lot of what we used to do is just dashed over now and to be honest a lot of the time it still works but that does not mean it is a quality job!

If you fit butt hinges properly, which is definitely recessed into both door and frame, a lot of the strength of the join comes from the fit, and the screws act more like retaining pins. If you've ever removed an old, well-fitted door you will know what I mean- it often needs a bit of force to get the door off even when all the screws have been taken out.

Back