Busy Weekend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score

Finally tackled the bulk of my rusty tool problem. Namely about 50 assorted gouges and chisels. Mainly gouges, about half of them carving, and those mainly Addis. Had to shove them all in a box just to keep them under control. :oops: 'Course all that effort didn't include sharpening them, just cleaning, but on the other hand I've taken a big leap towards doing my first big For Sale List in a couple of years. :roll:

Also cleaned the things in front here. I'm in about a dozen different minds over whether to turn some handles for the mortise chisels and keep 'em, stick with my oval bolstered ones and sell them, or keep the socket ones and sell the oval bolstered ones. Decisions, decisions. :?

The brace is a "Comet" brand which I believe was the twisty-drilly trademark for Anglo-Scottish Tools of "Rapier" fame. Apart from one, all my other braces have the usual alligator jaw type chuck. This one's a little different, the shell tightening it up from behind on those Praying Mantis type jaws, but remarkably effective. I daresay the design has a name, but I'm knackered and covered in rust dust so I haven't looked... :lol:

The purchase today was this saw by William Brookes & Sons or Sheffield. As soon as I saw it I thought "that's got some age" and Hand-saw Makers of Britain confirms it. They were churning out their stuff between 1841 and 1847. It's in excellent condition, considering its 150 odd years old.

Naturally it joined the Big Tool Clean Up (I'm not a collector - it's a user... :p )

The other handsaw is a Disston D8 and the backsaw an unnamed 12" with no teeth - I think the previous owner jointed them down with the intention of cutting some more. Like me, he or she never found the Tuit... :roll: :lol: Looks like I've got some sharpening to do if I'm to finally get my "set" of Disston's in working order, not to mention I've just remembered I've not cleaned up the rip yet. Arghhhhh. ](*,)

Anyway, just thought I hadn't done a rambling tool post here for a while so I thought I'd put it here instead of on the Blog for a change.

Cheers, Alf

Gorgeous saw!

I'm jealous...in the old tool he!! I live in... :lol:

Nice gouges and carving tools I reckon too. I recently rehandled about 50 Addis and sharpened them up for a guy. Very nice tools.

Take care, Mike
trying hard to think of something memorable...

Boy, and I thought my weekend was busy :wink:

Bet you feel good now that's all done :)

Wow-that was some work! You need to pop round a Mates house who has a Tormek to get that lot sharpened. :shock:
Also warms my heart to see I'm not the only hand saw sucker around here :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Alf, does this tool cleaning frenzy indicate that The Chair is nearing completion and that you are just filling in time while the finish dries?

Andy

Mike, yeah, I put the saw in there with you in mind. But I didn't tell you the really jealousy-inducing bit. 50 pence, or just under a dollar. :shock: Nearly ripped the fella's arm off in my hurry to pay him... :lol:

Colin, yep, they're all going to be offered up. I've dropped you a PM.

Chas, you know you want to... :whistle:

Andy, alas, no. It indicates that while I had the bench covered in gunk I decided I might as well do the job properly before returning to the chair. But I have been putting out the prayer flags for the auger bit extension to arrive the whole time, if that counts? :-k :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":109n3nu8 said:

Cheers, Alf

Hell's Lemmings! I though I had trouble walking past a tool at a fair price. You've got it bad, and that ain't good.

Thanks Alf, you've made me feel much better about myself.

(actually the reason I'm fairly good about leaving tools behind is workload; I am psycologically incapable of not cleaning and tuning any tool I own to the max, and this takes a lot of time; a few moments of buying a bargain can translate into either hours of work, or nagging guilt until I do the hours of work)

BugBear

bugbear":2iin3t7h said:
Hell's Lemmings! I though I had trouble walking past a tool at a fair price. You've got it bad, and that ain't good.
Can I help it if the one tool I want, er, need comes with an additional 20 I don't? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3vducdl5 said:
Chas, you know you want to... :whistle:
Cheers, Alf

Things that gel with T B who has been struggling to help with storing and working 2M X 250mm logs I can get away with, more boxes of :tool: 'S that may not see the light of day for a while just ain't going to cut the mustard, [-( besides with the one or two turnings still lying around here, carvings might have room finding shelf space. :oops:

The fact that I am currently sorting tools that have been thro' two house moves (30yrs) and only just re-surface has nothing to do with it :shock:

Alf":3s57keda said:
Can I help it if the one tool I want, er, need comes with an additional 20 I don't? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

That's where friendly relations with dealers come in, or used to. At auction I'd often arrange to buy a single tool from a dealer (from a box lot) at an agreed price, before the box was sold. This gave the dealer some "known value" to bid with.

This was a good way to split lots, but only works if you can attend; my office used to be 50 yards from an auction; it's now 2 1/2 miles, which has put the kibosh on things.

BugBear

Doesn't work outside an auction situation though - these are all the result of answering private ads. Don't trust myself at an auction, real or electronic. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Back