Burr elm wall hanging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the bits i've turned of late.

wallhanging.jpg

It's 25" at it's longest diameter, and was my first chance to use my outboard extension.
I think i need a some sort of footswitch, as running around the trning work to switch it off was a bit hair raising!

Brillant Ryan- i really like it and would gladly give it wall space-you are right a footswitch is a great safety item when hollow turning or doing wallplaques etc

i've got just the place for that Ryan, now how much did you say you wanted..
lovely bit of turning mate, put it in the comp at the turning club later on. :wink: :wink:

Wow, fascinating to look at, keep seeing new things in it, a bit like Nick Arnull's style ?

Cheers, Paul :D

That really is a lovely wall hanging OB.

I'll bet there where a few underpant checks when you turned that monster.

Have you carved little vines/leave stalks around the side?

Really nice touch, btw Steve, OB said that this can only be hung on the wall of someone who is new to turning AND lives in Scotland, guess I fit the bill! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, joking a side this is a strong sign that many will desire this piece very much.

Hope you've got a strong wall!?!?

Cheers,

Lee.

paulm":27c29mt6 said:
Wow, fascinating to look at, keep seeing new things in it, a bit like Nick Arnull's style ?

Cheers, Paul :D

Paul,

I think you mean Nick Agar!!

Nice piece though - good fun to turn aren't they (see avatr - me turning with Nick (Agar!) - he was behind the camera at the time - no pressure not to get a catch!).

BRgds
S

I thought Nick Agar as well as soon as I saw it. There's also an American turner who does this sort of thing. This one could easily stand amongst those. lovely piece of work.

Pete

Thank you very much for the kind responses folks.

It was a bit scary, although i had to start so slow it was an odd experience. Normal i rough at high speed, so having to take it so steady was a challenge in itself.

Although it wasn't conscious i feel sure hat the inspiration for the piece came from seeing some of Nick Agar's work, although it'll be a while before i can produce that quality! It also reminds me of Douglas Fisher a bit too, although the carving is definately not in the same league!

The vine bits were turned then hand carved, which i surprised myself in enjoying so much. I think i'll try and introduce a bit more carving into my work.

Bodrighy":2t5cbz3o said:
Just remembered the American turner, Doug Fisher. His work can be seen here

Pete

Thanks for that link pete, doug's stuff is beautiful work and i hope you keep it up ryan..

To me the subtle carving is what makes the piece, the rest of it shouts difficulty of turning and skill of finishing from a turner point of view but the carving for me is that extra bit of detail that turns it into something worth putting on the wall.

That a super piece. must have been a bit scary turning 25 inches unbalanced !

Would be proud to put it on any wall in the house.

Just love it Ryan, excellent piece. I imaging its a bit hair raising getting anywhere near that when its spinning at speed :shock: :shock:
Steve

Back