Burnt cherry bowl, WIP.Finished pic's, for Critique.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Having moved house 4 months ago, from a 2 bed starter home to a 1970's semi with a garage, shed and a 20ft sq workshop, behind the massive bush now removed!

Apart from the decorating (which is nearly finished) we are just about settled in! I can't belive that the small crammed garage is filling all the out buildings we now have, my lathe was the last thing to be put into the shop and after a long time away from it (a few years of "proper" turning) I am now getting stuck back in!
I've knocked out a few bits in the last few weeks, and being off over Christmas I have have had loads of free time to spin in the workshop and this is my latest piece, hope you like it, others to follow.
Thanks Chris.

Original cherry blank that had been rough turned but still has splits so needed to re-think my design!

first of three burn, wire brush then 3 coats of boot polish.

checking the shape.

back on the lathe being re-turned.

nearly finished.

Still some finishing to do on the inside and base.
Hope you enjoy?
Regards Chris.

Thanks, that was the idea as the original bowl had many splits in even after rough turning and I thought I would give it a go, my fingers were crossed that they didn't go as far as the inside of the bowl!
Chris.

Had some time to finish the bowl off today, 7.5" wide 4"deep, hope you like it?

removing the foot.

Regards Chris.

A good effort, nice tactile shape with the interesting contrast between the black and the natural wood. The blackening with the fissures give it a somewhat post apocalyptical or nihilistic feel which makes it quite fascinating.

Thanks gnu,
It's much better in the flesh, or wood in this case! the feel of the textured outside and polished inside is great, I feel a few more coming along (and a good recovery for something I thought was ruined!)
Chris.

Back