'Burgess' Cyclone parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Thanks for the info. I looked at getting some "spares" from a couple of US sites. Althought the parts themselves are cheap the shipping is horrendous.

Barry I recall you mentioning that youd investigated a couple of suppliers for the impeller. Can you remeber who from, sizes, prices etc.

My workshop is an old barn that was kitted out better to house summer berry pickers when the farm I live on was... wait for it.. a berry farm. Next to it is an old piggery which has two large airfoil type blowers with conrol panels sitting redundant. I wonder if these could be utilised in some way. Probably way overkill and expensive to run and I dont know if you can reduce the inlet (currently about 10") without stalling. I'll post pictures later.

Cheers

Mark

From the PhD the best results with fine particles were achieved using a 1D3D model(Barrel length is 1X diameter cone is 3 X diameter) The worse results were from a 1D2D as with the former you achieved over 6 turns of the dust in the cyclone but this dropped to under 3 with the 1D2D. With the Pentz model it is a 1D1.6D even shorter so if the PhD is correct you will get less turns in the cyclone and hence worse separation. From my dust bucket type separation I am using closer to a barrel to cone ratio of 3 to 1 not 1 to 3 but the diameter is the same as the barrel length and I get over 3 turns and the separation is excellent. I did not know about these ratio's when building this "cyclone". Most of the results from the various studies are extrapolations and mathematical formula so who knows.
Barry

dexteria":20wq6kfk said:
Thanks for the info. I looked at getting some "spares" from a couple of US sites. Althought the parts themselves are cheap the shipping is horrendous.

Barry I recall you mentioning that youd investigated a couple of suppliers for the impeller. Can you remeber who from, sizes, prices etc.Mark

I started by asking the pro builders of big dust extractor where they got their impellors from. That led me to one or two who were prepared to supply 14" impellors for about £120 +VAT. In the end I desided to buy on old dust extractor for thr impellor casing and motor on Ebay for £135 delivered.
Mark by the way the so called Jet 14" impellors do not exist anymore due to the Pentz site

dexteria":20wq6kfk said:
My workshop is an old barn that was kitted out better to house summer berry pickers when the farm I live on was... wait for it.. a berry farm. Next to it is an old piggery which has two large airfoil type blowers with conrol panels sitting redundant. I wonder if these could be utilised in some way. Probably way overkill and expensive to run and I dont know if you can reduce the inlet (currently about 10") without stalling. I'll post pictures later.

The 10" outlet would not be a problem if you were building a 18 or 20" cyclone as the outlet from the cyclone to the airfoil would be 9" or10". What you could do is to put the filters after the cyclone and before the airfoil so no dust would get to the airfoil. You would have to use 6" piping and at least one blastgate would always have to be open.
Just a thought
Barry

I've been using the ClearVue MiniCyclone for a few days and my rough and ready observations are that the larger stuff seems to stay 'up in the air' as it were, while the cyclone is running which surprised me.

The dust drops straight through, which is kind of counter-intuitive to me, but since it's the dust I want to eliminate, it works for me. Seems to handle stuff from the thicknesser quite well also which is a bonus for a wee cyclone.

Roger Sinden":3qfqj6sv said:
I've been using the ClearVue MiniCyclone for a few days and my rough and ready observations are that the larger stuff seems to stay 'up in the air' as it were, while the cyclone is running which surprised me.
Roger if I suck up a Ikea pencil with the big cyclone you hear the pencil clanging around in the cyclone until you turn the power off. The same happens with larger pieces of wood from the TS or SCMS
Barry

OK...just looked inside the vacuum.

Nothing...nada. Ok ..a couple of bits of plastic bag that got whisked through but no dust, no chippings, no wood. It's all in the MiniCyclone collector.

I'd put on a brand new filter on the vacuum and it's hardly got any fine dust on it at all.

Have to say I am very, very impressed with the MiniCyclone from ClearVue.

Colin

Not at all. The US $ price including shipping was $205. I used PayPal as that was easiest which converted to £112. The tax gods were kind to me this time so £112 was my total outlay as I already had the vacuum cleaner.

Roger

Roger Sinden":2nli9hy3 said:
Colin

Not at all. The US $ price including shipping was $205. I used PayPal as that was easiest which converted to £112. The tax gods were kind to me this time so £112 was my total outlay as I already had the vacuum cleaner.

Roger

Roger thaat price looks very reasonable to me! :) what did you have to buy to finish the extractor, if you dont mind me asking?

I would just love to be able to copy someone elses setup without all them calculations! my brain hurts! :shock:

Mike

Just checking we're talking about the same thing here.....the Mini CV06 cyclone is the one that I'm talking about.

My Acme MkII (Acme Mk I imploded) is made from spare pieces of MFC (design error no.1..too damn heavy especially fully laden with sawdust)...mounted on a thick sheet of MDF on castors. The vacuum also is mounted on the same sheet (design error no 2...takes up too much real estate on the floor).

If you look through the Photo gallery on the ClearVue site you can see the various installations that others have done. I particularly like the ones mounted vertically ...the downside being that it won't be long before the bin gets full. At least with my Acme MkII it will take a lot before filling up.

Back