Bunnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been to the first Bunnings in the U.K. (Sunny St. Albans of course) and had a quick peruse. I must say it knocks the old Homebase that was on the same spot into a cocked hat. Loads more of pretty much everything, high end and cheapo options seem to be aplenty. Didn't get more than 20 minutes to check it out but pleasantly surprised. Even had a choice of Freud table saw blades which impressed! I'll try to take a better look around at the weekend but seems a definite step in the right direction as far as big box stores go. Anyone else got one opening up near them?

That's interesting, I didn't know they were opening up over here, I used to frequent them often when I lived in Auckland.

Yes. They bought homebase some time last year IIRC. Can only be a good thing if you ask me.

We were in our old Homebase last weekend and it was absolutely full of new stock. Ryobi was predominant in the power tool section but I'll admit I didn't check the accessory shelf. Another source of Freud blades has got to be a good thing.
That'll give me something else to do this weekend coming.

Ive seen a picture with aeg tools so hopefully they are bringing aeg back to the uk.

Be good if they did online also

I hope we get something over in the UK similar to the Rigid brand. Imagine being able to pop down to your local box store and pick up a cast iron top Table saw or Jointer?! would be awesome! .. but I guess there is just no demand for that over here.

memzey":17bg2oza said:
Just been to the first Bunnings in the U.K. (Sunny St. Albans of course) and had a quick peruse. I must say it knocks the old Homebase that was on the same spot into a cocked hat. Loads more of pretty much everything, high end and cheapo options seem to be aplenty. Didn't get more than 20 minutes to check it out but pleasantly surprised. Even had a choice of Freud table saw blades which impressed! I'll try to take a better look around at the weekend but seems a definite step in the right direction as far as big box stores go. Anyone else got one opening up near them?

It will be interesting to see how this new approach works out for them, in the UK.

BugBear

Didn't see any cast iron topped table saws but they did have a couple of contractor type saws and some thicknessers. They even stocked planer knives although not Tersa ones so no good for me. I'll try to take a proper look over the weekend but like I said their selection of Freud saw blades is pretty impressive:

I read an interview with some chap from Bunnings - they said the sack most of the senior Homebase managers when they took over - and the plan is to leave cushions and coffee cups to Ikea and the rest, they see Selco, and B&Q as their competition and seemed determined to beat them on price. Good news as Homebase was horrible before.

Last year the local Homebase opened an in house Argos shop, even though there is an Argos on the town centre less than a mile away.

Then towards the end of the year it suddenly disappeared......now I can see why the Home retail Group that owned was obviously in the process of flogging it off!

I wonder if the new company will make a success of it, given it has been through loads of owners including: Sainsbury's Homebase, Do it all etc etc.

Its a crowded market place, with competition in this town from Screwfix and Wickes.

Ive never been a fan of Homebase, its been something of a a cross between BHS, B&Q and a garden centre.

Freddyjersey2016":rr0zdaoe said:
I read an interview with some chap from Bunnings - they said the sack most of the senior Homebase managers when they took over - and the plan is to leave cushions and coffee cups to Ikea and the rest, they see Selco, and B&Q as their competition and seemed determined to beat them on price. Good news as Homebase was horrible before.

There's an easy way to beat B&Q, employ or train staff to actually know what the items are that they sell, not just where.

Most non trade or experienced DIYer's don't actually KNOW what they are looking for and go to places like the big sheds expecting help and advice becuase they are too afraid to walk into trade counter places and be viewed as a numpty - when I used to work for B&Q 30 years ago - we did; we had our own sections and were expected to be able to answer specific queries with correct advice or point them to someone who could, they also seemed to employ a lot more older people with experience - not spotty students with zero clue working on zero hours.

transatlantic":206gvm1t said:
I hope we get something over in the UK similar to the Rigid brand. Imagine being able to pop down to your local box store and pick up a cast iron top Table saw or Jointer?! would be awesome! .. but I guess there is just no demand for that over here.

I doubt it will ever happen. There just isn't the same demand and ratio of hobbiest woodworkers here.

Most of the Rigid stuff is the same as the AEG stuff, which usually ends up being way more expensive as AEG branded when they have offered it for sale in the UK in the past e.g their routers.

Bodgers":1g7zc7mq said:
transatlantic":1g7zc7mq said:

I doubt it will ever happen. There just isn't the same demand and ratio of hobbiest woodworkers here.

Most of the Rigid stuff is the same as the AEG stuff, which usually ends up being way more expensive as AEG branded when they have offered it for sale in the UK in the past e.g their routers.

It used to be worth importing but the drop in pound means ridgid stuff has became expensive, add to that no warranty and its probably back to being better off buying aeg, i did buy the stealth force oil impulse driver last year and its some of the best money ive spent on a power tool in years, incredible speed and power, i never use my impact driver now because the noise is annoying by comparison

Alexfn":eldlh780 said:
Bodgers":eldlh780 said:
transatlantic":eldlh780 said:

It used to be worth importing but the drop in pound means ridgid stuff has became expensive,

Bunnings are shipping their own stock from Australia, if they sell it there it may just end up on sale here too. I work for them BTW. We have all been warned that the stock comes from Australia and we have to be very vigilant for spiders and other creatures!

I think one thing they are banking on is selling brands not usually seen in the UK. If you live near a homebase/bunnings you should pop in regularly as some of the stock is priced very low for a short while, then they notice and it shoots up. Not long ago a got a couple of Irwin Record tsp5 planes for £19 each (plus a 20% staff discount), but not long after they went up to £36. I also got a dozen Craftright clamps for £1.99 each, then they went up to £3.99 not sure what they are now, but they are really good.

Oh, and watch out for any homebase branded stuff, it's all got to be sold before the store gets refitted to a bunning store, so a lot of it is being sold off cheap.

Here in Oz we have had Bunnings for years. They have emerged top of the heap after the hardware wars and bought up almost all the other hardware places. I do use them quite a bit but there are some things to be aware of. Bunnings have product made by Ryobi and Makita just for bunnings so those will be slightly different from Ryobi or Makita found elswhere. There may be other stuff too. That said they they are good on warranty and replacements. No questions asked if you have the purchase docket.
I would think a lot more stuff will come from China than Australia but to be safe watch out for these beasties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... b_side.jpg

Regards
John

Orraloon":3voeeyvy said:
I would think a lot more stuff will come from China than Australia

Well we were told that rather than have several manufacturers sending containers to the uk, which will arrive at different times and contain goods for several different homebase warehouses, which then will need to be sorted and forwarded to the correct warehouse. All the sorting and loading will be done in Australia. That way all the containers only contain goods meant for one particular homebase warehouse, they all get sent on the same ship and arrive at the same time, and the extra jobs created to do the sorting are in Australia not the UK.

It may also be cheaper to import goods you own from Australia than it is to import goods you have bought from China and had shipped to the UK.

I recall visiting Bunnings many times in their Bathurst NSW branch with my brother, and from memory they had a much wider range of stock compared to Homebase etc but as you would expect most of the tools seemed to be from China with quality to match.

John

Latest posts

Back