Building your own toolpost for a lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool-me-up

Established Member
Reaction score
my 2" diameter metal arrived today so i finally got round to making a new tool post!

The old one was only 40mm thick so allowed the tool holder to "rock" slightly when machining, also i couldn't get my knurling tool in the lathe because it is quite long and i couldn't wind the holder far enough away from the workpeice. See below.

Click to see full size image

TO start with i took a big 1/2" thick peice of aluminium and bored a hole half way through it just ever so slightly bigger then the round peice of metal

This is the sort of fit you want, it just goes and will rotate but its just tight enough that the plate doesnt fall off.

next i machined a groove into the aluminium bar, and faced of both sides, finishing it to length

Well thats all the machining done so time to strip down the vice

And grind the top flat

Bolt on the plate, and add some metal "tabs" to locate and secure the aluminium Bar via the groove machined earlier

And its done! One very sturdy and rotate - able tool post!
All i need to do now is add a pin to the tool holder so that cannot rotate on top of the aluminium bar, The four metal tabs grip the bar a lot better than a single bolt through the holder.
You could use this method to add a third crosslide to the lathe to let you cut at angles ( i would have but didnt have space ).

Latest posts

Back