Building a timber frame workshop advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradlar90

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

I'm new here, looking to start a small business and I'm thinking of building my own workshop (industrial estate rent seems a bit steep for my liking).

Does anyone know of any good resources (books/online plans/wise old timber framing masters willing to pass on their secrets)?

I'm thinking somewhere in the region of a 30x15 timber frame construction, nicely insulated to try and keep the noise down for the neighbours, and somewhat easy to build.

The quandary I have at the moment is should I build on a concrete slab or do a 'suspended' floor perched up on wood or breeze block posts so as to be off the cold and wet ground. My concern is would a suspended floor reverberate the sound more, and would it take to weight of a table saw, drill press etc...

Thanks in advance!

Brad

You could concrete some pads and build off that. Digging down to solid ground, ie below the top soil and then casting some pads / piers is more stable than bedding slabs directly onto the ground.It msy not be as stable as a cast slab.

Its worth having a look on the tyvek and kingspan sites for construction details. Its important that timber frame construction has breatheable membrane, cavity for external cladding and vapour barrier positioned correctly to avoid interstitial condensation.

You could consider SIPs construction which can be very airtight and therefore good for stopping noise transfer.

The usual considerations for planning and building regs apply.

I doubt if you would get planning permission for creating a home workshop used for a manufacturing business. Permitted development only allows outbuildings to be ancillary to a private dwelling.

Back